Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aircraft Re-registration

Aircraft Re-registration

I just received my Notice of Expiration of Aircraft Registration. All seems straight-forward and I understand the online procedure.
    But I noticed an issue that I was wondering if anyone else had noticed. My current expiration date is December 31st, 2013. The re-registration must be accomplished by October 31st, 2013.
    If I Re-register as of receipt of this letter now, the next expiration date is three years from the end of THIS month, not from December, or even October. In effect, that means I'm losing 5 or 6 months of the registration period. In three years I will receive another renewal form 6 months in advance of the expiration and I assume the same thing would happen. In other words, the re-registration could effectively be every two and a half years instead of three.
    The obvious thing to do would be to wait until the last moment in October, but that still means two months lost.

So am I seeing this right?

Thanks,

My understanding is that the registration would expire again December 31, 2016 and you would be eligible to re-register beginning August 2016. I would not recommend waiting as I did, I finally recieved my registration in March which if your counting was nearly 3 months after my other registration expired. Couldn't fly or get any one in Oklahoma to speed it up.

That's what I thought too, but during the online process of re-registration, the copy of the form that you are to approve before paying the five dollars says the new expiration date is July 31st, 2016. There was nothing I had to change. I'm wondering if that is a default for the process and the correct date is on the hard copy?
    You are saying it took an additional three months to get your registration after you submitted online by the due date? That's almost 6 months of them sitting on it! Did you have a change of any sort?

The Registrations expire all over the calendars.

Mine expires on June 30, 2016.

Interesting. I also just got mine. Dated July 2, saying that the re-registration is due August 1. It must arrive by October 31 and the registration expires Dec 31. It also includes two other bits of relevant information. "Filing early will not affect the new expiration date which is scheduled to be December 31." The second bit is that "If renewal is not completed by December 31, 2013, then the aircraft will be without authority to operate."

The first says no penalty for early renewal. The second bothers me. If, as cdflite noted above, I do everything right and the FAA is the one who does not complete on time, then I am without use of my plane? Or am I missing something?

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I've done mine online and typically received the new registration in less than two weeks. Just rerenewed my Swift, for the second time, this evening.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

So the big question, Jim, is this... What is your new expiration date? Is it three years from the time your previous registration expired? Or is it three years from the time you renewed?
    Folks, I'm going by what the ONLINE form says, not by what I actually have in hand. When I got to that form, it shows clearly that the expiration is three years from the month you complete the ONLINE process. As I stated above, it could just be a glitch in the online form.
    I know it may appear I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but potentially, we could be getting shorted by nearly 6 months.
    My original post was to see if anyone noticed this with their completed and received registration.

Thanks,
    Corey

I just renewed my registration. The original expired 12/31/13. The FAA sent the renewal at the beginning of July so I immediately renewed so I wouldn't forget. The FAA registration page shows my new registration expires 7/31/16. So yes, our wonderful FAA has figured out a way to make 6 months disappear. At least it is only $5.....for now.

Dave

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by cdflite View Post
    So the big question, Jim, is this... What is your new expiration date? Is it three years from the time your previous registration expired? Or is it three years from the time you renewed?
    I received my new registration last week, just a few days after completing the online reregistration process. The old one expired October 31, 2013. The new one expires October 31, 2016 so I didn't get shorted three months.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Looks like one should wait to within 6 weeks or less of the expiration date, just to make sure you don't get shortchanged.