Thread: FAA Response to Young Eagles Petition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm sure insurance is a big thing. The YE bumps up your insurance coverage to a million smooth and I believe also insures the ground workers at events. Frankly, if you're interested in the financials, typically all you have to do (as a member) is ask for them. I've had pretty good luck getting details out of the EAA in years past.

Note the Gathering of Eagles is not exclusively a YE event. The money goes to YE as well as other EAA Youth Programs.

Ron, I assumed just as you wrote, that all one had to do to get details of the programs "is ask for them". That is just what I did and the lady seemed very reluctant to talk about it. Usually when I phone EAA the folks are very friendly and helpful, but not this time. Maybe I just caught her on a down day.

I don't know how the EAA insurance works, but I assume the private owners coverage comes first in event of a claim.

If we keep flying safely then insurance is not subject to claims paid out.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-22-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Eh? Regardless of who pays first, the EAA provides supplemental insurance and that has to be paid for whether there are claims or not. We have had a fatal YE crash. I had a non-fatal crash (only claim was to my own insurer for some of the post failure damage). I got a nice letter from Steve Buss thanking me for not killing any Young Eagles. The ground people aren't going to be covered by any pilot's policy. I believe this is covered by some policy that applies to general EAA chapter activities. The pilots who fly YE's accrue credits for sending kids to the EAA Academy. I just sign mine over to the chapter so they can be pooled together to do something useful. I suspect that this is all included in the GoE and similar fundraising.