Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAA Response to Young Eagles Petition

FAA Response to Young Eagles Petition

The FAA's response to EAA's Young Eagles petition falls far short of everything we wanted and asked for. However, I urge EAA's leadership to quickly accept the waivers the FAA granted and pass the new guidance on to our Chapters. Our chapter has always been very active Young Eagle (YE) flyers. However, over the past few years, the number of pilots willing to fly in YE events has dwindled and the number one reason is cost. We have several partner organizations who are willing to cover all the fuel costs, but current FAA rules prohibit that.

As I read the response, what it will do for us is allow pilots who meet the minimum certification and experience requirements and who are flying normal category aircraft, to accept full reimbursement of our fuel costs. That would include more than 90 percent of our YE pilots and aircraft who regularly fly YEs. There would be an additional documentation and reporting requirement, but it would be worth it.

What I don't think it would do is prevent continued YE flights by Sport and Recreational Pilots in Experimental aircraft, or prevent low-time pilots from conducting YE flights. However, it would prevent them from participating in a 100 percent fuel reimbursement.

It would essentially create two classes of participating YE pilots. Those that meet the FAA criteria and can accept full fuel reimbursement, and those that do not meet the criteria and must continue to operate under the existing rules.

It's clearly not what we wanted, but we aren't going to get an exemption that will help everyone. It IS a huge step toward the funding assistance we need to keep the program going. I've owned 5 Experimental aircraft and flown YEs in some of them, but the reality is that the FAA will always treat them differently. We need to accept what they have offered and do so quickly. At nearly $7/gallon fuel prices, it's essential to the viability of the program.
    Last edited by dusterpilot; 08-17-2013 at 06:08 AM.

It’s disappointing that the FAA took the route it did with Exemption 10841. When considering the airplanes and each member within our 50+ member Chapter this exemption will apply to just 1 (one) member.

Some Chapters will have better success in its members, and the airplanes they fly, qualifying for Exemption 10841. But those pilots using the exemption may unintentionally alienate their fellow pilots who can not. In other words, the attitude may become, “I’ll let the other guys do the flying since I’m not eligible for free fuel”. The question then becomes, how many incremental Young Eagles will actually be flown given the exemption?

Our Chapter members will continue to safely fly Young Eagles at our own YE events, and at surrounding Chapter events, without the assistance of 10841, assuming that the EAA even decides to adopt it. Also, like most pilots, we often fly with an empty seat and we actively seek out those interested in flying to come and join us. We also schedule a number of Fly-Outs in advance, as you’ll see posted on our website calendar, and encourage pilot and passenger participation through e-mail reminders. These activities have built interest in our Chapter, added members, and introduced aviation to new people in our community, both young and old. Each EAA Chapter has this same opportunity, with or without Exemption 10841.

Mike Hongisto
    President - EAA Chapter 1221
    Last edited by Mike Hongisto; 08-16-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    What I don't think it would do is prevent continued YE flights by Sport and Recreational Pilots in Experimental aircraft, or prevent low-time pilots from conducting YE flights. However, it would prevent them from participating in a 100 percent fuel reimbursement.

It would essentially create two classes of participating YE pilots. Those that meet the FAA criteria and can accept full fuel reimbursement, and those that do not meet the criteria and must continue to operate under the existing rule.
    Yep, that's how I read it, too.

But I figure that paying out of pocket for fuel (I'm a Sport Pilot) is an investment in the future. Then again, the Champ doesn't suck that much gas to make it too painful....
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Maybe they should have petitioned for a weight increase instead!

So lemme get this straight - the pilot/owner of Experimental aircraft cannot be reimbursed for fuel expenses when said aircraft is used to fly at EAA sponsored YE events per the new rule, correct? But the factory-built airplane drivers can get reimb'd for fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    So lemme get this straight - the pilot/owner of Experimental aircraft cannot be reimbursed for fuel expenses when said aircraft is used to fly at EAA sponsored YE events per the new rule, correct? But the factory-built airplane drivers can get reimb'd for fuel?
    True. And in addition. Because the FAA considers "logging flight time" to be compensation (FAAs decision, item 2) ALL aircraft operated at EF/YE events must have standard airworthiness certificates. No, I do not believe that is what anyone meant to do. But it is what is written. Impossible for me to understand how my taking someone for a ride in my private vehicle for my pleasure, at considerable expense, without monetary reimbursement, can be called "compensation" but there it is in b&w. What next? Commercial certificate required for solo flight?

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    True. And in addition. Because the FAA considers "logging flight time" to be compensation (FAAs decision, item 2) ALL aircraft operated at EF/YE events must have standard airworthiness certificates.
    What if you don't actually log the flight time in your book?

This ruling is also a pretty good hit for lower time pilots. Until you have 500 hours, you can't get fuel ... that's a lot of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mbond View Post
    Until you have 500 hours, you can't get fuel ... that's a lot of hours.
    That's not true...You just can't get ALL the fuel. If you're flying a 4-place aircraft with 3 YEs on board, you can get 75% of the fuel; 1 in a 2-place and you can get 50% of the fuel. Just exactly as what is legal now for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    That's not true...You just can't get ALL the fuel. If you're flying a 4-place aircraft with 3 YEs on board, you can get 75% of the fuel; 1 in a 2-place and you can get 50% of the fuel. Just exactly as what is legal now for everyone.
    Well, pro rata fuel sounds pretty fair to me if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Well, pro rata fuel sounds pretty fair to me if that's the case.
    Is that being paid by the YE, or a third party (aka sponsor)?