Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Answers to some gripes

Well crap.. 6 out of 7 ain't too bad, I guess... I can wheel land...

No Bill, I'm another great guy! But I was at Osh this year, sadly for the last time, as my wife thinks that I've been enjoying myself too much for far too long! And I'm pleased to report that we've been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century as cold beer is available here now although many of us remain incorrigible, and still prefer the warm stuff! A Brit (perhaps better described as a Scot) won Wimbledon, the first one (male that is) to do so since the thirties. Still, I'm not bothered one way or the other, Wimbledon fortnight always bores me to distraction!
    Last edited by AlexC; 08-16-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    As to smoking, well much as we may not like it, smoking is Not prohibited in the Airventure grounds.
    . . . .
    As for knowing where and when the fourms and other events are it is pretty easy, if you bother to look.
    And it doesn't take any email or ipod or wi fi or online hocus pocus. There as a small booklet, a guide for visitors, perhaps 6x8 inches put out by EAA that list all or almost all the events and time and location. It is free, small enough to carry in a pocket and I get one the first day I arrive. I then go through and see if there are forums that I want to see. I mark the prime one on each day and some back ups if it works out that way. I look at the map and mostly plan each eve what I want to do the next day. Some days a couple of forums, some days none.
    If you don't have or you loose this booklet, there is also a free newspaper on boxes all around the grounds as well as at many hotels that show the events for just that day.
    If none of this suits you, you can often ask to see some one else's copy at a forum or when eating at a food table. Most people will share. The time and tittle of the forums are also posted on boards outside the various locations.
    I have been coming to EAA for over 30 years, and have attended many forums and even given some as I did this year.
    I may have had trouble finding time to do it all, but have never had a hard time finding the info on them, and I have never needed a cell phone to find them.
    The document I found to contain all the information I was looking for was the "EAA Airventure Oshkosh 2013 Visitor Guide". I did not have one of these in the bag or other information I got when I registered on Sunday afternoon. I thoroughly searched each document I did receive for that information, and that document wasn't there.

I asked several people where someone could get that information, and was told that it was in the printed "newspaper" available each day. I found that the "newspaper" contained only the day's events so I wasn't able to do any planning until getting it in the morning. I discovered a "Visitor Guide" quite by accident on the third day. I'm sure people would have been happy to share, but I never saw anyone with one before I got mine, and in fact no one I talked to even mentioned that such a thing existed.

But I see now that the whole problem was that I didn't try hard enough, and that Oshkosh isn't the place for dummies (or lazy folks) like me. I was suspecting that, but thanks for reinforcing it.

Roy

'The EAA Airventure Oshkosh 2013 Visitor Guide' was given to me at the main entrance when I picked up my wrist band for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I have never seen anyone smoking outside those designated areas except in one location and that's in "Vintage". Those senior well heeled guys and ladies don't seem to follow the rules for some reason-could be dementia or "I'm just too old and have too much money to give a s**t."

Not too old and have to much money...They think like this....They fought for our rights and now people want to walk all over them. Just try to take that smoke out of one of their hands....

I kinda feel like they do, people died for our rights and others think its ok to take them from us. Just as you have the right to breath what ever you want a smoker has the right to do the same thing. I see not smoking in a building but outside.

By the way..I am a non smoker but a believer in our rights . Some are non smokers and non believers. If you feel others should not smoke that's your right, but is it not the other persons right to believe they could smoke, just whom are we to tell others what to do. Kinda sounds like Hitler.

If I don't like someone smoking around me I walk away. Just walk away, that is your right, no one holding a gun to your head.

Do I prefer to be in a smoke free environment? Sure. I also prefer to be free from inhaling poorly burnt diesel fumes from tractors and gators and other less than clean burning trucks...but I am not going to get away from those on the grounds of AirVenture either. (Jet-A burnt cleanly through a turbine is another matter. (c I am annoyed by cigarette butts lying about, as I am for any litter. More cigarette smokers means more litter. (Hint: 27 paces between trash cans, never more than 30, as Disney's engineers discovered.)

Personal preferences aside, my only CONCERN, as stated previously, is people smoking in close proximity to leaking avgas. I don't know about the other areas, but this definitely applies to most of the Warbird flight line, especially the airplanes that fly in the show. It is probably true for other show plane areas, but I am not sure. Maybe other planes don't have the same overflow issues.

Hitler? Seriously? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Smoking just should not be allowed on the EAA grounds during the fly-in. There are airplanes and fuel trucks all over the place, not to mention a lot of usually-dried-out grass, and it's clear from the number and location of butts on the ground that people are not paying attention to the designated smoking areas. The grounds are NOT that wide; if you want to smoke, go a few hundred yards out of your way and smoke outside the grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post
    Hitler? Seriously? That's absolutely ridiculous.
    I myself do not smoke. It just amazes me how some want to tell other what to do and how to do it. I guess all smokers are dumb a#### from the posts. I wonder how they have not killed us all. I also wonder how those old timers ever won a war without blowing themselves up from smoking around all those bombs and fuel and every other explosive thing they smoked around.
    Watch any WWI or WWII documentary those men and women smoke everywhere around anything. Now tell them to stop. I would like to see this.

Well, back in the early '80's during my first few trips to OSH, there was zero smoking on the flight line. Anyone know when this changed?
    I also seem to recall there was zero food and drink allowed on the flight line. Seems like there was always a volunteer less than 3 steps away to inform the guilty party of their infraction. I remember this because I got busted for having an ice cream cone across the road that designated the boundary to the flight line. I was actually impressed with their enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Watch any WWI or WWII documentary those men and women smoke everywhere around anything. Now tell them to stop. I would like to see this.
    If you visit a resturant or bar in many, many states in this country now, there is no smoking inside. Somebody made them stop.