Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
The workshop was specifically advertised as a MIG class. I'm not sure why you would expect them to tell you that you ought to be welding with something else. It's like going to the fabric forum and expecting to be told you should be using metal skins.
If the situation called for it, I would hope the fabric instructors would say " in that situation you would probably want metal". The situation I am referring to, is one where a particular technology or method is sold as being the "answer". Over the years I have had more than one instance of meeting someone who had taken one of the welding classes ( mostly the Tig ones ), and was told that he could use his newly bought welding machine to make a certain part from aluminum. In these cases, the instructor did not ever educate the student on the fact that welding destroys any mechanical or thermal treatments and so they needed to do their stress calcs in the "0" condition. To me that is part of the instruction, is a bit of an engineering base to determine the suitability of a technology for a given application, and I include it in my teachings.

P.S. Why the heck are you taking a Mig class at an aviation event???