Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated photos of Twin JAG

Updated photos of Twin JAG

Here are a few new photos of my twin engine project. More to come shortly at www.homebuiltdirectory.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by jimdc8; 08-24-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Newest photo as of today (bottom photo)! Engines being built shortly.
    Last edited by jimdc8; 08-24-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Finally! I wondered when this sort of thing would happen

Quote Originally Posted by jimdc8 View Post
    Newest photo as of today (bottom photo)! Engines being built shortly.
    That is a very interesting project! I have been toying with the idea of designing a light twin for some time now, given the rapidity with which engines are growing more efficient, airframes are getting lighter and stronger, etc...

Looks like you've adapted an RV-7 or something(?)

Would love to see more photos! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see that fly!

Thank you for the kind words! I will be adding more pictures very shortly. I am currently finishing the instrument panel/center console installation, minus avionics for now. Used to be a RV-6A. Now it is called a Twin JAG.

More coming soon.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimdc8 View Post
    Thank you for the kind words! I will be adding more pictures very shortly. I am currently finishing the instrument panel/center console installation, minus avionics for now. Used to be a RV-6A. Now it is called a Twin JAG.

More coming soon.
    Jim

Now that's thinking outside of the box! COOL Project. Best of Luck!!
    Last edited by RV8505; 09-08-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Here are some more recent photos. Trial fitting the burlwood panels on the center console. More pics coming soon...

What engines are you planning on using?
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by wildhorsesracing View Post
    What engines are you planning on using?
    I am building custom 120hp Corvair based flight engines. They are direct drive 6 cylinder air cooled and are very smooth running engines. They contain a fifth bearing to handle loads imposed on the crankshaft by the props. My engines will use the following brand new custom parts:

1. 4340 billet ion-nitrided crankshafts
    2. Custom pistons & cylinders
    3. 4340 connecting rods
    4. Falcon machine heads
    5. High volume oil pumps
    6. Weseman 5th Bearing
    7. ...much more!

I will begin building these engines in the next few weeks.

Jim
    Last edited by jimdc8; 12-25-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil & cut it with an axe.

Very nice project!
    Your Dec 17 post included a picture of your console with the #1 & #2 PROP BRAKE controls. I had only seen passing reference to brakes in obscure texts. A recent forum thread regarding the Bally B-17 replica had pictures of those powerplants and some folks thought the brake drum looking things aft of the props were freewheeling devices. There were some opinions expressed that a free wheeling prop on a shut down engine was desirable.

Could you bring us up to speed regarding the relative drag of a feathered prop vs a braked prop vs a free wheeling prop. I can't wait to see pictures of your brake system. It could turn out to be lighter than a cs feathering prop. As if there were one even available for a 120 hp Corvair. Can't go wrong with the Corvairs.

Bob

Thanks Bob!

As you know, a constant speed prop is both heavy and complex. It is also a failure point and it's weight puts stress on the crankshaft. My concept of a prop brake is a simple one...I will install a mechanical brake caliper, identical to a bicycle's, which will stop the windmilling prop using the machined surface of the flywheel (just under the teeth where the starter meshes with).

Here are a few of my thoughts for this setup:
    1. A feathered prop, using a constant speed prop, effectively reduces drag approximately 97% compared to an unfeathered windmilling prop.
    2. A stopped unfeathered prop, using my proposed braking system, effectively reduces drag approximately 93% compared to an unfeathered windmilling prop.
    3. I feel that with a simpler and lighter setup, I would be willing to live with the 4% degradation in performance. I can makeup the difference by setting limitations to the operation of the aircraft (ie. minimum runway lengths).

These are just some generic thoughts of mine that describes why I am choosing this route. It is much more in depth than I can describe on this forum. Hope this helps.

Jim
    Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil & cut it with an axe.