Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate Oshkosh Forums?

Rate Oshkosh Forums?

Is there a method for providing feedback for the AirVenture Forums? I attended 6 this year, 4 were great, 1 was OK (first timer, it will get better), and 1 was pretty bad. How can I get that feedback to the event organizers so that they can make sure to keep the good ones and think again about the other?

On a related note, we went to one forum where the presenter simply failed to show up. An EAA rep there apologized and marked it down as a no-show, but I was wondering what happens with someone like that? I'd like to think that they don't get invited back to do another forum, unless there was a very pressing reason for the absence...

I attend several forums every year. For the most part, it seems most of them are repeats from the prior years, updated where needed. Many are from vendors. Some get stale, but I still sit in some just to see if any nugget of information is provided.

If you took out the repeats from prior years, I think all forums would fit into one day! (just kidding, but you get the idea...)

I've generally had good results with the presenters; can't recall any not showing up.

I just wish that I could de-conflict the ones that all appear in the same time slot! No DVR capability!

The nice thing is that Oshkosh does provide the chance for just about anyone to make a presentation; there's enough venues that if you have a half-decent-sounding proposal, good chances that you can garner a time slot.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    You can send comments about forums (or just about anything else) to feedback@eaa.org.That's the best and fastest way to get your thoughts routed to the right people.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I guess a lot of it depends on what type of Seminars you like. A few that I really enjoyed.

Almost any subject Mike Busch does. I feel semi addicted to his Seminars. For instance "To TBO & Beyond"

Joe Loggie From Champion. Love his seminar! I go every year just to see what is new. High energy and very forthcoming on the subject of magnetos.

Other ones I would recommend are from Budd Davisson. This year I saw "Mastering the Tailwheel" Last year "Chasing the Bead" (??) Welding.

Lycoming and Continental both had a great presentation although not listed as seminars. Worth a stop by their Tents for a weekly schedule

If you are interested in the Sonex, the Sonex people had a nice set of Seminars and there was also a factory tour you could go on.

These were just some of my favorites.

I also liked some of the shops such as the fabric workshop and the gas welding shop.

I never seem to be able to deconflict my schedule to go to everything I think I want to see.

I have seen a few that were just ok. But not many.

Does Rod Machado still do siminars, there?
    I got to go to a couple of his forums several years ago, and throroughly enjoyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by N546RV View Post
    On a related note, we went to one forum where the presenter simply failed to show up. An EAA rep there apologized and marked it down as a no-show, but I was wondering what happens with someone like that? I'd like to think that they don't get invited back to do another forum, unless there was a very pressing reason for the absence...
    I was disappointed that Brent Blue didn't show up for his presentation about SI's. Many of us waited over 30 minutes and finally gave up and wandered off.

What is an "SI"? I used to subscribe to Sports Illustrated, but just get the swimsuit issue now.

That's odd. Dr. Blue was at Airventure. I ran into at the Hilton on Friday night. I do believe he did mention something about problems with his aircraft though, so he may have been a late arrival.

SI=Special Issuance. An authorization to fly even when you don't meet the strict medical requirements.

Rod did two this year. As I recall Friday in the FAA building and Saturday in forum "tent" 8.

If you want a good laugh while you're learning something, put him on your list of forums to see.

Quote Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
    Does Rod Machado still do siminars, there?
    I got to go to a couple of his forums several years ago, and throroughly enjoyed them.
    Last edited by donwmack; 08-14-2013 at 07:04 PM.