Thread: Camp Scholler Suggestion for Future AirVentures

Camp Scholler Suggestion for Future AirVentures

I have been attending AirVenture since 1973. This was my first year staying in Camp Scholler. It was a very interesting experience. It struck me that EAA is missing a significant opportunity by not further enhancing the Camp Scholler experience.

Camp Scholler must be the nation's (and possible the world's) biggest RV event of the year. I was struck that there was not any exhibitor from the RV industry that I could find on the grounds. Plenty of exhibitors selling snake oil and sun glasses, but no exhibitors representing the RV industry. I did see some signs for Progressive RV insurance.

Anyway I recommend that the folks running AirVenture consider reaching out to the RV industry to participate in AirVenture. Rather than mixing these folks into the air show grounds it might be worth considering setting up an RV exhibit area in the middle of Camp Scholler. Proceeds from the exhibits could be used to enhance the Camp Scholler experience as well as generate more revenue to support AirVenture.

As I looked around the Camp Scholler I was amazed at the number of high end rigs around the camping area. Camp Scholler should be a field of dreams for anyone in the RV business.

I respectfully disagree with this idea.

In order to have an area "in the middle of Camp Scholler" for this RV exhibit, it would be necessary to displace a large amount of existing camping space. This would force more and more campers out to the far west and south ends of the campgrounds, far away from the show and from the campground amenities. This has already happened a couple of years ago with the introduction of the improved (water/ electric) sites and caused a little controversy. At least the improved sites are used by members and appear to be quite popular, and so have been largely tolerated. Imagine the outcry if even more prime camping space was displaced for a commercial venture like this?

This sounds like the type of idea that would have been strongly considered under the previous regime, and that is reason enough not to do it.

Now, if an RV manufacturer wanted to become a major sponsor like Ford or Honda and displayed their products in the commercial area of the show grounds, that would be an idea worth considering.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    I respectfully disagree with this idea.

In order to have an area "in the middle of Camp Scholler" for this RV exhibit, it would be necessary to displace a large amount of existing camping space. This would force more and more campers out to the far west and south ends of the campgrounds, far away from the show and from the campground amenities. This has already happened a couple of years ago with the introduction of the improved (water/ electric) sites and caused a little controversy. At least the improved sites are used by members and appear to be quite popular, and so have been largely tolerated. Imagine the outcry if even more prime camping space was displaced for a commercial venture like this?

This sounds like the type of idea that would have been strongly considered under the previous regime, and that is reason enough not to do it.

Now, if an RV manufacturer wanted to become a major sponsor like Ford or Honda and displayed their products in the commercial area of the show grounds, that would be an idea worth considering.
    I was not suggesting displacing a large amount of prime camping space. As a matter of fact I doubt a large amount of space would be consumed by RV manufactures. Set it up out by Highway 41 and use the revenue to develop more prime space for camping.

The bigger point is that no matter where and how participation is organized it would seem to be an area open to enhance AirVenture and AirVenture revenues. The folks at Honda sure get it. Honda had a big presence at AirVenture. Really liked all the charging stations they set up.

For someone who has only camped at Scholler for one year turbopilot sure has a lot of ideas on how to "improve" it. I very much dislike both suggestions of "first pay first served" and setting up an RV vendor area in the campground. The vendor area would take large areas of camping away to set up RVs for show and Scholler has run out of room in the past. As for the "ease" of marking out prime spots for those who will pay early (and presumably pay more) to get them that's easier said than done. Have you checked out the prime areas much? They are between trees and not very squared off. EAA would lose revenue doing this as ground would end up wasted. The water/electric spaces are in the middle of the campground where it can be easily marked with straight rows. Please spend another year or two checking things out; you may be able to adapt as opposed to reforming an entire campground which is only in use six weeks out of the year and has been running effectively for decades to suit your expectations. I for one would hate those changes as they seem similar to the "improvements" that prompted the ouster of Hightower.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    I have been attending AirVenture since 1973. This was my first year staying in Camp Scholler. It was a very interesting experience. It struck me that EAA is missing a significant opportunity by not further enhancing the Camp Scholler experience.

Camp Scholler must be the nation's (and possible the world's) biggest RV event of the year. I was struck that there was not any exhibitor from the RV industry that I could find on the grounds. Plenty of exhibitors selling snake oil and sun glasses, but no exhibitors representing the RV industry. I did see some signs for Progressive RV insurance.

Anyway I recommend that the folks running AirVenture consider reaching out to the RV industry to participate in AirVenture. Rather than mixing these folks into the air show grounds it might be worth considering setting up an RV exhibit area in the middle of Camp Scholler. Proceeds from the exhibits could be used to enhance the Camp Scholler experience as well as generate more revenue to support AirVenture.

As I looked around the Camp Scholler I was amazed at the number of high end rigs around the camping area. Camp Scholler should be a field of dreams for anyone in the RV business.
    Already been done, I believe it was Camping World that had a store south of the Red Barn a couple years ago. Decent size "store" tent and some displays, I think it lasted one year, maybe two. And one or two years prior to that Schwan's had a big presence, right before they killed off the Red Baron Stearman team. I've been in Scholler for many of the last 18 years, lots of things have been tried, few stick.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Two years ago, Camping World had a HUGE RV "showroom" that took up about 1/2 or more of the handicapped camping area in Scholler. While it was interesting, it was a huge loss of camping space, and, of course, important camping area for those that need to be close to the front.

I do agree, however, that if they pay for space on the grounds like other vendors do (and not in the camping area), I say more power to them. On the grounds or off.

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Quote Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
    Two years ago, Camping World had a HUGE RV "showroom" that took up about 1/2 or more of the handicapped camping area in Scholler. While it was interesting, it was a huge loss of camping space, and, of course, important camping area for those that need to be close to the front.

I do agree, however, that if they pay for space on the grounds like other vendors do (and not in the camping area), I say more power to them. On the grounds or off.

~Chris
    Thanks Chris, I was on furlough that year and so never even turned an eye towards the "showroom" and only browsed the tent.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem