Thread: Experienced rag and Tube Builders in Ocala Fl Area

Experienced rag and Tube Builders in Ocala Fl Area

Is anyone out there in the Ocala Fl. area with experience in building Avid style wings? I recently purchased in partnership with my brother in-law a Ridge Runner 3 kit. the original owner of the kit lost his medical after starting the kit. He did not get far, just started work on the wings when he found out. I have some serious questions about his workmanship. Although the wing was a quick build, at least from the photos of the kit when it was opened, several of the ribs were separated from the front spar. The bond, it seems to me, was not prepped properly. The attachment of the ribs to the rear spar are solid and have a nice fillet (most of them).

Additionally, there is a ding (bang actually) in the left front spar that we did not notice during our pre-buy inspection. The ding is close to 50% deep of the wall thickness, (.065) it is .030. I believe this has to be replaced. No biggie for me but, I am not adverse to making this repair. I am hoping that there are some members out there with experience in this wing construction that can inspect and point out any other areas that need attention. I also hope they may shed some insight with me on my plan to reinforce the nose rib attachment by using a doubler on each side of the rib attachment point to give a larger bonding surface against this tubular spar.

Since I do not have factory support on this kit (I did not purchase from the mfr.) if there is anyone out there that lives in the Ocala Fl. area that may be able to help, please feel free to contact me. I could post photos but actually seeing it gives a more accurate idea of the problem.

Tom Hudgins
    EAA 390795

hello, I am looking for some info on the ridge runner planes. I too have a plane, a 3S, that I purchased from someone and I have no factory support. I have spoken with Stace on a few occasions and even purchased some items, but now can't reach him at all. I really need a builders manual or at least a pirated copy and willing to pay for it. I think i can put it together without but I'm guessing i will need a manual to show the DAR if I have any hope of getting N numbered. Do you have a manual you are willing to sell/share? Or do you know anyone else building or flying one of these planes that may be of help?

Yes I can copy my builders log for you. It may take a while. It is thick. I can tell you that in my experience, it is not a very good manual. Lots of gaps and disjointed steps. But I understand your need to have it on hand to show the DAR.

Tom

Buddy, you don't know how much i would appreciate the builder log. let me know when you can get it done and how much for your trouble. I am actually well on my way to getting this thing done. I have the wings and tail feathers covered, need to cover the fuselage after I do a little welding on it. I hate weld on it since it is powder coated, but i really want to put some grab handles on the aft part for lifting the tail wheel and rolling it backward. Also a previous owner had cut off a couple of the cowling attach tabs. I checked your builder site and things look real good. Lets keep some contact, I think we may both need to bounce some ideas back and forth since we have no factory support.

Manual ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool pappa View Post
    Buddy, you don't know how much i would appreciate the builder log. let me know when you can get it done and how much for your trouble. I am actually well on my way to getting this thing done. I have the wings and tail feathers covered, need to cover the fuselage after I do a little welding on it. I hate weld on it since it is powder coated, but i really want to put some grab handles on the aft part for lifting the tail wheel and rolling it backward. Also a previous owner had cut off a couple of the cowling attach tabs. I checked your builder site and things look real good. Lets keep some contact, I think we may both need to bounce some ideas back and forth since we have no factory support.
    DO you still need the manual for the RR3? I have it in PDF format. It took me a long time to get to it but it is done. My build partner and I have completely rebuilt the wings on our kit. There are many builders out there with the same lack of support and being ignored by RMW. Let me know if you still need the manual. Tom