Hello Everyone,

My wife and I have made a decision to build out own airplane. I have been building hot rods and classic cars since I was 15 years old. I had 6 years of woodshop in school, I can weld ok and can sort of usemy 1944 Loganlathe. I am also a collage boy, so I can sort of read and write.

We are building the airplane to hop around the USA in a slowand low fashion in 8 years when we retire. I can set aside 600-800 hours a yearfor this project. We drive 1940's Desoto's so you get the idea of what we areabout.

We want to build an airplane for several reasons:

1. We want to know the airplane inside and out.
2. We can build it out of cash flow.
3. Once done, we can do the maintenance.
4. We can include many innovations of the last 75 years that would be hard to do in a certificated airplane of pre WWII vintage.
5. We have an excuse to come to OSH every year!

What we want to build is a something of an oxymoron. We wish to build a three place "State ofthe Art Biplane".

Our airplane specifications are currently as follows:

A. With full fuel and oil a useful load of 1000 pounds.
B. A landing Speed of no more than 60 MPH clean.
C. Take off and land with 1000 feet.
D. A 75% power cruise speed of 90 MPH.
E. A max cruise speed of 110 MPH.
F. Maximum flight with 1 hour reserve 400NM.
G. An biplane with stability a prime objective over"fighter like" maneuverability.
H. A classic looking Biplane.
I. Preferable all the above at 12-16 GPH :-)

We realize that the above list may not be achievable. Some compromise will be inevitable. But for us it is a starting point.

I have been reading C.C. Carter's book on Simple Aerodynamics and The Airplane. One thing that stands out is that just as the science was really moving forward on the aerodynamics of wings that WWII dragged everything in a hurry to the direction of faster-higher loaded mono wings. This book seems to be the last thing (1940) that I could find that went into depth on the science of bi-wings.

I know that in the last couple of years at Stanford University some folks are doing computer modeling on a high speed high altitude bi-plane designs. I have tried to contact those folks, but alas, they don't seem to want to talk with us lonely home builders. They have constructed a computer model for bi-planes, I would love to get access to it for my project.

What I would like to know is are there any folks who are advisors for EAA members who are Aeronautical Engineers? I would like to talk with some folks thatcould discuss some of the things I have read in Carter's book. I sort of getit, but that kind of math was a long time ago for me.

Thanks everyone. Isuspect that the next 4 to 8 years is going to be an interesting journey.

James.