Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about a crashed plane...

The airplane is listed with the FAA.

FAA REGISTRY
    N-Number Inquiry Results
    N3514P is Assigned
    Data Updated each Federal Working Day at Midnight

Aircraft Description
    Serial Number 22-3264 Status Expired
    Manufacturer Name PIPER Certificate Issue Date 09/23/1998
    Model PA-22-150 Expiration Date 09/30/2012
    Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
    Pending Number Change None Dealer No
    Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code (base 8 / oct) 50765566
    MFR Year 1955 Mode S Code (base 16 / hex) A3EB76
    Type Registration Co-Owned Fractional Owner NO
    Registered Owner
    Name PAYNE IRA V
    Street PO BOX 1368

City WASKOM State TEXAS
    County HARRISON Zip Code 75692-1368
    Country UNITED STATES
    Airworthiness
    Engine Manufacturer LYCOMING Classification Standard
    Engine Model 0-320 SERIES Category None
    A/W Date 09/16/1955

The information contained in this record should be the most current Airworthiness information available in the historical aircraft record. However, this data alone does not provide the basis for a determination regarding the airworthiness of an aircraft or the current aircraft configuration. For specific information, you may request a copy of the aircraft record at Http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/ND/airrecordsND.asp
    Other Owner Names
    PAYNE MOVIS B
    Temporary Certificates
    None
    Fuel Modifications
    None

Like Marty said, check with the local airport FBO's and I am sure that someone knows something about the airplane.
    I am at the Slaughter airport most weekends so you are more than welcome to come hang out, and if the weather is good I am always looking for company to ride along. I am currently getting the airplane ready for Blakesburg. If you are thinking of visiting send me an email and I will make sure I am at the airport. Wacoc8@cox.net. Or, you can just wait till Marty visits in the fall and we can all go flying at the same time.
    BTW, that is a really cool Pacer. I remember when Jim Younkin modified a Pacer to keep up with Bud Dakes Monocoupe 90AL. Steve Culp did the same mods to this particular Pacer. It was FAST! Pretty airplane. Hope you find it.
    Dave

The registered owner lives in Greenbrier, AR. according to the FAA website which is where the airplane was headed when it was damaged in a landing accident, according to the NTSB report. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by wacoc8 View Post
    The airplane is listed with the FAA.

FAA REGISTRY
    N-Number Inquiry Results
    N3514P is Assigned

Aircraft Description
    Serial Number 22-3264 Status Expired
    Manufacturer Name PIPER Certificate Issue Date 09/23/1998
    Model PA-22-150 Expiration Date 09/30/2012
    Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
    Pending Number Change None Dealer No
    Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code (base 8 / oct) 50765566
    MFR Year 1955 Mode S Code (base 16 / hex) A3EB76
    Type Registration Co-Owned Fractional Owner NO
    Registered Owner
    Name PAYNE IRA V
    Street PO BOX 1368

City WASKOM State TEXAS
    County HARRISON Zip Code 75692-1368
    Country UNITED STATES
    Airworthiness
    Engine Manufacturer LYCOMING Classification Standard
    Engine Model 0-320 SERIES Category None
    A/W Date 09/16/1955

The information contained in this record should be the most current Airworthiness information available in the historical aircraft record. However, this data alone does not provide the basis for a determination regarding the airworthiness of an aircraft or the current aircraft configuration. For specific information, you may request a copy of the aircraft record at Http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/ND/airrecordsND.asp
    Other Owner Names
    PAYNE MOVIS B
    Temporary Certificates
    None
    Fuel Modifications
    None

Like Marty said, check with the local airport FBO's and I am sure that someone knows something about the airplane.
    I am at the Slaughter airport most weekends so you are more than welcome to come hang out, and if the weather is good I am always looking for company to ride along. I am currently getting the airplane ready for Blakesburg. If you are thinking of visiting send me an email and I will make sure I am at the airport. Wacoc8@cox.net. Or, you can just wait till Marty visits in the fall and we can all go flying at the same time.
    BTW, that is a really cool Pacer. I remember when Jim Younkin modified a Pacer to keep up with Bud Dakes Monocoupe 90AL. Steve Culp did the same mods to this particular Pacer. It was FAST! Pretty airplane. Hope you find it.
    Dave
    Thanks!
    That explains why it would do 150 MPH, with 150HP, all day long.
    That thing was like flying a classic sports car.
    It would easily outrun a C182...
    I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by wacoc8 View Post
    The registered owner lives in Greenbrier, AR. according to the FAA website which is where the airplane was headed when it was damaged in a landing accident, according to the NTSB report. Hope this helps.
    Hmm.
    Interesting.
    Last thing I got from them was their East Texas info, which is where they lived when they originally bought it from us.
    Time to do some more digging.
    Thank you for that little nugget!!

Greenbrier, AR was the address his last medical was issued under. Good luck.

Piper 3514P

I built that back in the early 90s and it was an Oshkosh Champion in 1993. Great plane! I saw Younkins at Oshkosh in 1990 and thought it was such a cool plane. Purchased the gear conversion from Univair and the fun began. I flew it quite a bit and really like the speed. My mentor Marion Cole did the first flight with me after I built it. Will try to download pic.
    I traded another plane to Doug Harvey at Lucian Field in south Shreveport. I later sold it to Phil Gill which is the guy in the picture. It was damaged while another guy was doing the annual and later sold to someone in AK that wrote it off. I did see it at Oshkosh after it was rebuilt by the guy that purchased it from Phil and it looked pretty sad. I was told it was a take off accident and the gear was wiped out after hitting a ditch.
    There is an air to air photo at my Culps Customs site.
    Steve Culp
    Culp's Specialties
    www.culpsspecialties.com
    Culp's Customs
    www.culpscustoms.com
    Quote Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
    OK, here's the deal.
    I had a 57' PA-22-20-150 Pacer.
    Loved it...
    Sold it a few years later.
    Got curious to it's wherabouts several years ago, and popped the tail number in the ntsb database.
    I found where it had crashed at a small airport in Arkansas, possibly on the way back from Oshkosh, iirc.
    I can't seem to find anything saying that it was returned to service, or anything.
    I called up the OKC FAA office, and filed for their records on the aircraft.
    Finally got the previously listed owner's info, and tried to get in contact, to no avail.
    I'd love to know what happened to the aircraft afterword, and see if it's still around, or shoved off into a dark corner of a hangar somewhere, forgotten about.
    What happens to planes, when they get totaled, or someone throws in the towel, and there's no aircraft re-registration on it?
    I'm kind of at a dead end, and would like to maybe try and find the plane, and see what shape it may be in, if there's anything left to salvage, by now.
    Any ideas??

This was it in it's former glory...

Circa 1994...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well hello, stranger!
    Thank you for popping in, and posting up!
    BTW, I am Phil Gill...
    Last edited by I_FLY_LOW; 08-23-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Well, got the records from the FAA, today.
    Looks like AOPA insurance bought it as a total loss in July of 2000.
    It has an address listed in Gladewater, TX, but no name of the new owner, unless it's a salvage yard AOPA insurance had it delivered to.
    Google didn't turn up anything useful when I put in the address.

Airnav shows an airport in Gladewater. And the online yellow pages show some aviation businesses. Start there?

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Cool! Thanks for the tip!