Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Third Class Medical

What happens, if say, you wind up not flying, and don't make the yearly appointments, for say, the 4-5 year span, and the medical runs out.
    What happens to the medical, at that point, besides being expired?
    (And I understand without the yearly checkups, there's an issue with it being current..)
    Do all the hoops have to be jumped through, again, even if all the bloodwork, and what-not, is A-OK?
    Or can I refile for the extension, and barring any issues with the exam itself, be good to go again, with their blessings?

If you don't make the yearly appointments, you will not have a current medial and can not fly. The basic 3rd class medical is good for 2 years. If your under "Special Issuance" then you need to renew it EVERY YEAR, but only need the "full" 3rd class physical every 2 years. You will have to submit all the paperwork required for the Special Issuance every year, Special Issuance is offered to people who have a condition that would disqualify them from flying under 3rd Class rules. The FAA will allow some people with those disqualifying conditions to fly if their conditions are "Stable" and that requires a set of tests or exams each year and that paperwork must be submitted to Oklahoma City. The FAA has set-up a review system that allows AME's to review the paperwork and issue a renewal directly to you if your condition is stable and you have provided your AME with that paperwork. Your AME will send copies of that paperwork to Oklahoma City each year. At the end of your 5 year "Authorization Letter" you will have to request a renewal of that authorization and send all your current documentation regarding your condition to them, along with your 3rd class medical application, and your AME's physical. Welcome to the world the FAA.

Joe

Thanks Tom, and others. I will call my original AME today. If I have to start jumping through hoops again, .... well I'll just wait and see. This is a hobby, not a vocation for me. I had one lesson about 1957 and two in 2012, then I stopped until I knew if I could get the medical certificate.

To answer the implied question, if you let your "NOT VALID FOR ANY CLASS AFTER XXX" medical expire, you are not denied as far as sport pilot eligibility. This is different than if you get the "You appear to not be qualified..." letter and you don't respond to it.

Question on medical

John, the period of your certificate and the duration of the authorization letter are different. Shoot me an email at gpinnell@airdocs.net and I will go over it with you. Regards, Dr. Pinnell

There are expiration dates on medicals which are under special issuance. It will be in the limitations section and will read Not valid for any class after XX-XX-XXXX.

Quote Originally Posted by gpinnell View Post
    There are expiration dates on medicals which are under special issuance. It will be in the limitations section and will read Not valid for any class after XX-XX-XXXX.
    I believe I said EXACTLY that in the first reply.