Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleepy Hollow Farm vs Scholler

Sleepy Hollow Farm vs Scholler

Maybe not a good title, but.......
    For those that don't know, Sleepy Hollow Farm is next door to Scholler.
    My family & I have stayed at Sleepy Hollow Farm Campground for 12 years.
    For some reason, some folks in Scholler don't seem to understand that Sleepy Hollow campers PAY for Sleepy Hollow facilities. Scholler campers DON'T.
    There were some moochers, leaches, or parasites felt they were entitled to cut the fence that separate Sleepy Hollow from Scholler to use "our" facilities.
    There may be some moochers, leaches, or parasites in Sleepy Hollow also, but none, to my knowledge, were cutting through to use "your" facilities.
    I was also told, by a pretty reliable source, that EAA security thinks they have the authority to use Sleepy Hollow's private drive, AND cut the fence for access to Scholler.
    One night, there was even some vandalism to one of our showers........I can't imagine a Sleepy Hollow guest tearing up their own facility????

Now, as I said earlier, we've been staying in Sleepy Hollow for 12 years. Jeff's worked hard through the years, using the profits (made from us) from previous years to
    make improvements for US.

There's only one group of people, that I know of, that think they're entitled to other people's stuff for free. I won't go into that here.
    If you're offended by my post.....Don't cut through the fence!
    If you're not guilty...this post has NOTHING to do with you.

Marshall,

There was a thread this time last year about people camping on private property south of Scholler doing the same thing. They thought since they were EAA members and paid for show tickets, they were entitled to the Scholler facilities. They didn't understand that we also paid an additional fee per night to fund the port-o-johns and cleaning of them. The fact the EAA can only prepare for the demand/use of the folks camping in Scholler and doesn't have the capacity to service all in attendance at Airventur. If they want to pay for the cheap camping sites, let them use those facilities, wait they don't have any. They just didn't get it.

I think it sounds very similiar to what you experienced. It suprises me at the lack of common sense and ethics of some folks. The good news is that they are in the minority at OSH and most folks do their best to get along with their temporary neighbors.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

I agree 100% Bob. Your last line really does say it all.
    I still feel the aviation crowd is the BEST by far. These parasites I refer to probably aren't aviators.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but in searching this was the exact title I would have used for a new thread.

This is my first trip to Oshkosh, can’t wait for it. I have a couple of questions about camping. We had planned on buying extra days at Camp Scholler to secure a site with water and electric. Prior to that I called Sleepy Hollow and was put on the waiting list for a site. Sleepy Hollow called and had a cancelation so I now have a reservation there.

Is there any advantage to staying at Camp Scholler vs. Sleepy Hollow? I want to make sure we have access to the stores, evening movies, etc. on the grounds. I read somewhere in the past that any after-hours activities or access was limited to those staying on the grounds in Camp Scholler.

It would be nice to not have to purchase 25 days of campsite to get water and electric for the actual 8 we will use it, but if there is an advantage to staying at Camp Scholler vs. Sleepy Hollow then we’ll just purchase the extra days.

Thanks!

Sleepy Hollow is plenty close enough to walk to EVERYTHING on the grounds. The outdoor movie theater is only about a 1/4 mile SE of Sleepy Hollow. If you need anything from town, SOMEBODY is always offering to pick up items when they go.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeoj View Post
    I read somewhere in the past that any after-hours activities or access was limited to those staying on the grounds in Camp Scholler.
    I can't think of any evening events that are limited to just Camp Scholler crowds. The camp stores close at 10 pm during the show (~8-9 pre-show) and they'll gladly except money from all. The movies are actually part of your AirVenture admission, but since it is funded by Ford and outside the gate I imagine there are some that show up without wristbands. Although, "these parasites I refer to probably aren't aviators". You might have been reading about access to the aircraft camping. When flying in, I've always camped in the North 40 which is outside the gate, but I could see where you might not be able to meet up with people in the showplane camping areas for their private after-hours gatherings.

Sleepy Hollow sounds like a great spot; water & electric, lower cost, you won't be living out on 41, and you will actually have some trees around. I imagine the only two negatives are the Beer Tent noise, and that you'll get ridiculed on this forum for not being a true EAA member/supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeoj View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but in searching this was the exact title I would have used for a new thread.

This is my first trip to Oshkosh, can’t wait for it. I have a couple of questions about camping. We had planned on buying extra days at Camp Scholler to secure a site with water and electric. Prior to that I called Sleepy Hollow and was put on the waiting list for a site. Sleepy Hollow called and had a cancelation so I now have a reservation there.

Is there any advantage to staying at Camp Scholler vs. Sleepy Hollow? I want to make sure we have access to the stores, evening movies, etc. on the grounds. I read somewhere in the past that any after-hours activities or access was limited to those staying on the grounds in Camp Scholler.

It would be nice to not have to purchase 25 days of campsite to get water and electric for the actual 8 we will use it, but if there is an advantage to staying at Camp Scholler vs. Sleepy Hollow then we’ll just purchase the extra days.

Thanks!
    Since you are talking about water and electric sites, Sleepy Hollow may be a little more convienent. These sites are located a in the middle of Camp Scholler, which is a bit of a walk. But there are shuttle buses available.

The only negative I've heard about Sleepy Hollow are the cabins. I've heard nothing but praise about their camp sites.

If cost is not a factor, it's probably a flip of the coin.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by rawheels View Post

Sleepy Hollow sounds like a great spot; water & electric, lower cost, you won't be living out on 41, and you will actually have some trees around. I imagine the only two negatives are the Beer Tent noise, and that you'll get ridiculed on this forum for not being a true EAA member/supporter.
    I actually think the beer tent shuts down at midnight, because it gets pretty quiet about then.

Thanks for all of the replies! Sounds like it will be Sleepy Hollow for us.

Cost isn’t so much of an issue, but it is nice not to spend it needlessly. This is the one time that my brother, myself and our Dad will be able to do this trip together and we would do whatever it takes to make this a great trip. What we would spend on the extra 20 something nights to secure a water/electric site will sure buy some fuel for the trip in a 182 from California. We are renting a trailer and having it delivered, the nice thing about Sleepy Hollow is that if for some reason we aren’t there at delivery, they can still drop the trailer.

I’ve also read that to purchase the extra days in Scholler that you must be present but have not been able to confirm this with EAA. That’s a challenge coming from so far out. I wish there was more information from EAA as to what the actual rules are. I know for certain that we must be present for trailer delivery, which I’m fine with as long as we don’t run into weather or any other issues on the trip out. When I called Member Services to ask about purchasing extra days, the girl I spoke to was unsure of whether we had to be there to do that or not. Just advised me to start calling on June 27th when they start selling the sites and see how many are left, and to call every day until the number of sites left gets low.

Thanks again for the replies, I can’t wait to get there.

Can you pass on who you are renting the trailer from. I have a old junker I keep stored outside down the road, but given this past winter that they have had there, not sure if the roof will still be there! Maybe Hal would volunteer to drive by Barr Storage behind the Planeview Truck stop for me and see if it is still standing! Would like to have a plan B. Thanks!
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org