Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wings X Pro vs. Foreflight

Wings X Pro vs. Foreflight

Hello, I am discarding the "near worethless" Garmin Pilot app and I am looking at going with Wings X or Foreflight. Could anyone offer advice from there own experience to help with this decision? Thanks in advance.

I bet you get several different answers, but I compared both and liked Foreflight better.........
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

I used Foreflight and Wingx for about one year and settled on foreflight. Foreflight had a better look and feel for me.
    States visited with my Piper Challenger

I am a very satisfied WingX user. I've only looked at Foreflight briefly, so I haven't done a real A/B comparison. The WingX user interface works for me, even though it's not as slick as Foreflght's. There are two things I like best:

(1) Innovation driven directly and remarkably quickly by user feedback. The designer is available on the AOPA forum and email, and he takes suggestions and implements them. Seems to me he's the innovation leader, coming out with things like Track Up and terrain alerts before the competition. Little gems like airport traffic patterns drawn on the sectionals, and a wind direction arrow based on METARs, are great. His shop seems frankly more "mom and pop," and therefore more responsive, than most current software development.

(2) WingX offers compatibility with a wide and growing range of ADS-B receivers, while Foreflight locks you into Sporty's and Stratus. Freedom of choice is important to me. I've read vehement arguments that that's dumb, Stratus is the best and it's a waste of time and money to look further, but I don't buy that. As a matter of fact, I did not buy that, I bought of the competition at Oshkosh, and I have no regrets.

A WingX weakness is its training which is basically help screens and UTube videos, which I would rate only fair. Even with that, it is not difficult at all to learn to use the program.

So, overall, I recommend WingX.

Mike E

Also like to add, I noticed a minor bug with Foreflight. I asked the guy in the Oshkosh booth about it. He made a note to self as I stood there, and 2 days later the bug (really wasn't a bug, just some info I thought they should add) was fixed.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Might I add in addition to, has anyone tried Avare?
    http://avgps.wordpress.com/avare-overview/

I'm not an apple fanboy, and enjoy using Android, so just curious if anyone's used that also.

I've used both and found I prefer Foreflight

I have only used Foreflight, and I like it, but I would like to hear from others' experiences with Wings X Pro.

I bought a "mini" IPad this past April and I'm using Wings X and very happy with this application. I made my decision having seen Wings X in action through a fellow pilot, and listening to this same discussion on this blog at that time. Given that both products get good reviews by pilots, I'd say you will be happy with either product. If you get a chance to actually handle each product "side by side" then you'd be able to tell which one you prefer. We have an older Garmin "Pilot" in our club TriPacer which is "worthless" compared to these new apps!

Joe

I'm using Foreflight, flew my first cross country yesterday using it exclusively and it worked very well.

All my aircraft documents are in it. Its very easy to use in flight, even with random changes and diversions that I made just to play with the software. It also has a scratch pad where you can jot down frequencies and such real quick.

Very happy with it.