Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third Class Medical

Third Class Medical

When I took my 3rd Class Medical exam in July 2012 I failed. But after 10 months of trying, "jumping trough hoops", testing, reports, etc I finally succeeded in receiving my certificate in May, 2013. The transmittal letter states it will expire the end of July 2018.

However there is a typo error on the certificate stating expiration date of July 31, 2013! There is no phone number on the letter so I've written to the FAA twice, once via certified mail, requesting a corrected certificate. I have not received a reply. I have worked too hard to receive an expired certificate! Does ANYONE have any advice, such as a phone number or a person at FAA or EAA or anywhere else who can help me get this corrected?

Thanks! Johndeeerjim in Pittsburgh - Student Pilot

Contact your local FSDO (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...ices/fsdo/agc/) and set up a meeting. Much easier to resolve issues in person than over the phone. You are lucky? that you have a FSDO in your backyard.
    Good luck.

I have one like that.
    It's good for 5 years, but I'm supposed to go get a checkup every year. ~shrugs~
    It, too, expires at the end of July.
    Go figure...

Eh? Since when are there "expiration" dates on certificates? The date on the certificate is the DATE OF EXAMINATION not the date of expiration.
    The only time you'll see an expiration date is when there is a restriction on a special issuance that says something like "NOT VALID FOR ANY CLASS AFTER JULY 2013" in the restrictions section (where it normally says mundane things like MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES).

If the restriction has an expired date, you MAY NOT FLY. You should go see the AME and see if he can get it corrected (alternatively the Regional Flight Surgeon's office can help fix these things). The FSDO can't really do squat with medical certificates. They can issue student pilot certificates and fix most AIRMAN certificate problems, but they will just refer you elsewhere for medicals.

Jim, I just spoke with you by phone but I wanted to post the answer here in case anyone with a similar case comes across this thread-

You are on what is called an AME-assisted special issuance (AASI). That means after reviewing your initial application, in your case over the course of 10 months, the FAA sent you a letter authorizing your AME to renew your certificate on an annual basis (which is unfortunately backdated to your initial exam last July) if you bring him/her the items set forth in the authorization letter. The letter expires in 5 years, but your medical must be renewed every year. One nice thing is that depending on the circumstances you may only require a full exam every two years, the "off" years simply requiring paperwork review. Talk to your AME to know for sure, and as always you or anyone else can call my direct line at 920-426-6124 if you have any questions.

Best,

Tom Charpentier
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Jim, Tom's post explains it. Unfortunately you have to revisit the (an) AME to receive a current certificate valid until 2014.

It's ridiculously convoluted, so make sure you read and understand every word of the FAA's letter before you go to the AME. And make sure the AME reads and understands exactly what he has to do. Do what the letter says and no more. If the AME does exams or tests that aren't called for this year by the letter, you could be in for more bureaucratic grief.

Unfortunately some AMEs are in too much of a rush to read and understand the FAA's letters, and you lose.

Speaking of AME's, are they more hands off now, when it comes to getting you what is needed, so far as paperwork, or even help on what to do next, after a denial?
    It was like pulling teeth, when I went for my medical, and got denied, and had to jump through all the hoops to get it back.
    I'm in a different town, now, with this particular AME, vs the last few medicals I had many years ago, in my home town.
    Back then it seemed like they were more helpful, even though I never had an issue getting a medical, back then.
    Next go round, I think I'm looking for someone else.

Depends on the AME - a good one will help you through the process, which as you know can involve a substantial amount of steps before and after the exam. We publish a list of "pilot advocates" who are both AMEs and EAA members, and that is an excellent place to start if you are looking for a doc in your area. An additional layer of support is our Aeromedical Advisory Council, a volunteer group of six AMEs who work with our membership on more difficult cases.

Edit - you can find the Pilot Advocate list here: http://members.eaa.org/home/medical/.../advocates.asp
    Last edited by Tom Charpentier; 08-07-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Thank you for that info!

Tom has given excellent advise, I've been on this system for many years and when you set your appointment to see your AME check and see if he wants you to fill out the form 8500 via the FAA website. If you haven't set up your FAA file you should do that b/e you visit your AME. Once you fill out the form your AME can complete it on-line while your at his office, you'll walk out with a valid medical good for one year, and as Tom stated you will need to do this every year up to 2018, then you'll need to request an extension of that authorization letter in addition to the usual required annual submission.

Joe