Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mooney M20B

Mooney M20B

Hello, I'm considering buying a Mooney M20B does anyone have experience with this aircraft? If so I would appreciate any pros and cons to weight out while looking at this plane. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hi, Vash; Sorry I won't be much direct help, but you might check into the Mooney owners group; if it cost you a small amount to join, I'd go ahead and do it. You'll get much better, direct, items to look out for when doing your checkout. Think of it as a pre-buy expense. Better to have "wasted" the membership fee if they ID a potential show-stopper that you wouldn't have found otherwise. Regardless, I'm sure there are several Mooney owners on here that will help you out.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Thanks. I'll look into that.

I don't know the B, but had a '70C and "77J for a number of years.
    Buy the best one you can buy, get the prebuy done by someone that knows Mooneys.
    Check for, leaking fuel tanks ( a pretty big deal), bent nose gear, and possible corrosion in fuselage tubes under windows, and like any old plane, some of the value is in if you have good and working avionics.

They are easy to fly and not hard to land at all if you approach at the right airspeed, I recall about 70 mph in my C, I think.
    MAPA is a good group.

I did Google it, and find some limits on the B, but the prices are only about $40K, read the info there yourself.
    If you can pay a little more, move up to the C or for more the J (201) is a fine plane, and good ones are well under $100K. 155Knots true on 9.5 gal per hour and endurance longer than any pilot bladder, and a good engine.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-08-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Hopefully you're not a big guy as they're somewhat compact inside, not like a Bonanza. And your right arm will get some exercise with the Johnson bar gear. It's really not that hard, if you do it correctly, and at the right speeds. Overall, a nice little plane. Find someone with Mooney experience and knows what to look for when you go and look at it. It could save you lots of money in the long run.

- Not a bad retract plane overall.
    - You will need access to jacks and weighted tail stand to do the gear maintenance.
    - Simple to maintain.....nothing seems to go wrong other than normal wear and tear.
    - Keep the avionics access water tight.....otherwise even just washing will kill aviaonics.

-I would own on today if it was not for the need for jacks.

- Instead I selected a C-182 fixed that I can jack with a simple car jack.

- A&P mechanic by trade here.

Thanks for all the insight guys.

Based on some of the posts I have started thinking about the other Mooney M20 models does anyone have any experience with any of the other models such as "C,E, F". Thanks in advance.

I used to fly an E and a J. Both had fuel injected 200hp engines and were just fantastic traveling machines. Since you didn't ask about the J, I'll stick with the E. The one I flew was a late model version from '75, the last year they made it, so it had electric gear. The E and F are essentially the same but the F is a longer body and heavier...the J was the successor to the F.

I LOVED flying the E model as a two person airplane with plenty of room for bags. The font seats don't leave much room for back seat passengers, and that's the only reason I say it's a great two seater. The contraption under the cowl they called baffling is essentially a second cowl and is the only complaint I can make about that airplane.

As always with any older Mooney, check the fuel tanks for leaks and the rubber biscuits for cracks.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    I used to fly an E and a J. Both had fuel injected 200hp engines and were just fantastic traveling machines. Since you didn't ask about the J, I'll stick with the E. The one I flew was a late model version from '75, the last year they made it, so it had electric gear. The E and F are essentially the same but the F is a longer body and heavier...the J was the successor to the F.

I LOVED flying the E model as a two person airplane with plenty of room for bags. The font seats don't leave much room for back seat passengers, and that's the only reason I say it's a great two seater. The contraption under the cowl they called baffling is essentially a second cowl and is the only complaint I can make about that airplane.

As always with any older Mooney, check the fuel tanks for leaks and the rubber biscuits for cracks.
    Would you say that the "J" had more back seat leg room?
    Last edited by vash; 08-12-2013 at 05:22 AM.