Thread: Thanks, HQ, for Listening!

Thanks, HQ, for Listening!

I was very very pleased to see all of the improvements to Convention this year. It was evident that SOMEONE was listening and discussing forum content. I'm assuming that Hal was the main "shoveler" of content to the BoD.

The food improvements were very appreciated, as evidenced by many positive reports contained here. Sure, the donuts and soft-serve remain an issue, but all in all, I and many others loved the variety.

More flush toilets were much appreciated by my wife and I'm assuming just about every other female attendee. I also noted a corresponding decrease in the number of porta-potties. I wonder what the cost savings was?

While there were some issues here and there with the WiFi & phone usage (especially AT&T), I was thrilled that I could text and call my wife while we were both on the grounds. In prior years, I had to call my Spring-equipped buddy and have him relay a msg by then calling my wife. Didn't have to do that once this year, and we carried on some long txt conversations.

And lastly, y'all did an absolutely fantabulous job of weather coordination. We left the area Saturday PM - did it EVER hit 80 this week? That one little pffft of a shower on Wednesday did nothing to dampen the spirit.

Proof positive that if you do it right, and nature collaborates, you can have a great show without a packed Phillips 66 Plaza and the US military.

Thanks again for listening to us.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Agree 100%. Excellent fly-in, once again.

Agreed! It's nice to see that the powers-that-be are paying attention to what the members want. Their weather arrangements this year were OUTSTANDING! The food was overall an improvement and I'm sure will be tweaked to make it even better next year. I loved that the big flightline speakers were gone this year; the jumbotrons were a great idea, and I hope the budget will allow for more of them in the future. I'm one of the die-hards who's been going since I was a kid in 1970, and who goes every day and stays to watch planes leaving after the Sunday airshow, and IMHO the convention was a great success.

Now if I could just persuade them to show "Airplane!" every year...

I thought the wifi coverage was generally poor to non-existent on the grounds and in the dorms. I could connect, sometimes, but the speed was a joke. I just gave up on my laptop and used the 4G connection on my phone.

There was absolutely no coverage in the Vintage camping area as usual. There's device beaconing "eaawifi" but it doesn't accept connections. It appears it's the same piece-of-junk consumer unit that's been there for years that is known not to work. This is even after they dug big holes in the classic taxiway to run fiber down Whitman Road past the area.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    There was absolutely no coverage in the Vintage camping area as usual. There's device beaconing "eaawifi" but it doesn't accept connections. It appears it's the same piece-of-junk consumer unit that's been there for years that is known not to work. This is even after they dug big holes in the classic taxiway to run fiber down Whitman Road past the area.
    Good point. Same in HBC.