Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Request for next year

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Did you see how many bikes were parked in the bike corral near Exhibit Hangar B? I would estimate about a thousand. Would you really want all those bikes zipping around you all day on the grounds? I would not.
    That's a good point but I think it's worth a try. I ride my bike almost every weekend in the summer on the Wildwood, NJ boardwalk. There are thousands of people and hundreds of bikes moving in both directions on the boardwalk. There aren't any cars, buses, golf carts or motorscooters. There's a tram car and an occasional maintenance truck. Many of the riders are small children with poor riding skills. It's crowded and you can't go too fast but it's not a problem.

I can't vouch for the NJ boardwalk, but I've seen it on the California beach trails as well as other Eastern US boardwalks/shorelines and I can tell you it *WOULD* be a problem. Bikes run pedestrians off the trails and smack into stationary objects (lamp posts and railing) with reckless abandon. That would be great at Osh where those stationary objects are expensive and some times irreplaceable aircraft.

What about a few dedicated bike paths with bike parks along the way and at the end? Maybe a couple each in direction - N/S and E/W.

If a biker wanted to ride around the town of Oshkosh for exercise there are likely bike paths, maybe even some along the river or lake that are scenic.
    But crowded sidewalks and paths inside Airventure are not the place for it. Many towns like where I live have a lot of bikers, but have rules against riding on the sidewalks.
    There is a place for that, but not in crowds, and EAA can be really crowded.
    It would be the same if someone wanted to ride motorcycles in the grounds. I know the line guys use scooters, but stay on the grass to guide planes, not riding through people for the most part.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-08-2013 at 02:14 PM.