Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gripes

There were many improvements to Air Venture over last year. These comments are just meant to make it better.

1. It was great to have the sessions at the innovation center on the forum list. We now need to continue to add all events to one schedule. The speakers at the War Bird and the Museum need to be on the list with the Forums and workshops.

2. It is probably time to start to replace the chairs that are in the Forums and workshops. Some are getting unsafe. Maybe a few each year.

3. The Jumbotron was a good idea. There needs to be more monitors and it would be great if it could be live streamed as well.

4. Great to move the member meeting to Wednesday morning. How about streaming the meeting so that those that can not attend can see and hear it. Maybe record it so those that are not able to watch live can see it.

5. The Sporty's APP is a good idea. I wish they would use a system that allowed for live updates. Like using www.guidebook.com. Then as items change, it could be pushed to the users and updated so the information is current.

6. It would be nice if the EAA merchandise stores had minitures and models of the Experiemental and Amateur Aircraft. Heard lots of people wanting to buy one like a Sonex, Lancair, or a Vans.

Quote Originally Posted by flyboycpa View Post
    My only negative experience happened when we went over to the Seaplane Base to have [what has always been] the best lunch at Airventure. We were SO very disappointed with Haase's service.
    I had to wait an inordinately long time for my hamburger at the Seaplane Base on Friday. But it was, as the server promised, the best hamburger I had at the show. I certainly dd not experience rudeness or anything remotely resembling what the poster above described.

The food vendors were different (and better in my opinion) and they were operating in an unusual environment with some probably unfamiliar staff. They likely did not have the experience to know that corn was "the thing" at the seaplane base, or that soft serve was beloved by so many on the flightline. I think we have to cut them some slack and come back next year to see if they don't learn from their experience this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    I had to wait an inordinately long time for my hamburger at the Seaplane Base on Friday. But it was, as the server promised, the best hamburger I had at the show. I certainly dd not experience rudeness or anything remotely resembling what the poster above described.

The food vendors were different (and better in my opinion) and they were operating in an unusual environment with some probably unfamiliar staff. They likely did not have the experience to know that corn was "the thing" at the seaplane base, or that soft serve was beloved by so many on the flightline. I think we have to cut them some slack and come back next year to see if they don't learn from their experience this year.
    I can give them slack for not knowing about the "corn is the thing"; however, my biggest beef is that I was choking and the lady was so obviously disturbed that she was interrupted counting her tip jar despite my friend trying to get me water to relieve a choking situation (even after he told her!). That part I can't give any slack over, unacceptable.

Sam Swift

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    , or that soft serve was beloved by so many on the flightline.
    It think all the A&W locations had soft serve vanilla cones available.

This was my fifth Osh trip and 4th in a row this year. I really enjoy it.

Gripes would be

1. Wifi. As some of the others pointed out it was spotty or non-existent in the area of the N-40 I was in. That would be in the row abeam the EAA Tent Store/ and N-40 Cafe area. I don't need to keep in total communication with work, but I do have a few things I need to keep up with. Only takes a few minutes if I have access but turns into a bit of an ordeal if I have to bike to McD's. I did find that I could get wifi at the hospitality tent by the camp registration very reliably though.

2. I agree with others that some of the seminar titles could be better. I have been to a few seminars that were not at all what I would have thought they would be based on the title.

3. The next one I don't know what I could offer as a solution but I will toss it out anyway. Once the airshow starts it can be pretty tough to hear some of the Seminar presenters. It's like the Pavilion is right next to an airport or something!

4. Last, I always thought it would be nice if the Vendors were open about until 6 PM vice 5 PM. Because I attend so many seminars I feel like I need to make a quick fly through a few times to really look. This year I just skipped a few seminars and took more time to look at all the goodies.

Overall my gripes seem small when compared to the overall level of fun I experience at Osh.

As far as Wifi was concerned, I had decent reception in Camp Scholler on 11th between Schaick and Lindbergh. However the nanny filtering was irritating at times. Is the EAA now a nanny state and decides what we can and cannot see on the internet?

Biggest gripe was the bus service in Camp Scholler. While I am happy to have it and the drivers are the best, they seemed to get bunched up a lot more this year. In years past it happened early, but by the 2nd day they seemed to have it down. Several times I had to wait 15 or more minutes for a bus, then 3 would show up at almost the same time. The first bus was standing room only, 2nd about half full and the last only a few riders. I adapted to wait after the first bus and just waited a few minutes more for a more pleasurable ride.

I was looking forward to the food, but sadly disappointed when I got there. Elevated prices again. I again went back to my camp for a cheap sandwich for lunch. In my opinion the only place to eat other than the campsite is the Sacred Heart place outside the main gate. Decent price and good food.

mmcgrew
    North 40 observations. North 40 cafe has great breakfast and friendly staff. Am I confused or did they park the planes different this year. I remember T type parking and this year it was single line wing to wing? This arrangement took more space for fewer planes. As a result N40 got full fast. Arrived Monday am and was parked along the fence next to Hilton - waaaay awayyyy from everything. Bus service in N40 was less than desirable. Seems they started late and quit early and during peak time they were full to capacity. I think the trams provide a better and quicker means of transportation than buses (trams load and unload quicker). Showers on the far side of N40 would be great. New shower house is very nice. How about some evening entertainment in the N40. An out door theater would be great. Also N40 very quiet this year - What happened to the late parties - Are we getting old?

Quote Originally Posted by Ylinen View Post
    1. It was great to have the sessions at the innovation center on the forum list. We now need to continue to add all events to one schedule. The speakers at the War Bird and the Museum need to be on the list with the Forums and workshops.
    There's a little free booklet available at all gates and at the official EAA merchandise tents and the Wearhouse, that has all of those in one place, with locations. I pick one up the first day and highlight what I want to see every day.

Showers on the far side of N40 would be great.
    Wasn't there a shower trailer there, like in past years? That's where I was parked last year, and it was conveniently located near the fence--and actually provided better showers than the new shower house.

On tail to tail parking in the North 40, that's the way it was done on the first Saturday when I flew in. All of the south side of the North 40 was packed by Sunday evening. But curiously, people started flying out as early as Monday, and by Tuesday there were many vacant areas, and yet instead of "refilling" them, the volunteer guides were sending airplanes to the north side of the North 40--there were vacancies in the row I was in all week. I suppose it's a little easier to do that, but in past years when I couldn't come until later, like on Tuesday or Wednesday, I was still parked in vacant spaces on the south side of the North 40.

On food at the Seaplane Base, Haase's North 40 Cafe was excellent--good and relatively quick service, friendly staff, excellent food--where else can you get a rib-eye steak sandwich for the bucks? But at the Seaplane Base, same vendor, but the food choices were more limited, and yet I have to agree, the hamburger I had was excellent, as was the potato salad. But it did take a long time in line, perhaps because they didn't have enough grills going. Most of the staff were pleasant enough there, but there was a largish woman who (whether she was a manager or not) acted as if she was in charge, and she was obnoxious, boorish, sarcastic (to both staff and patrons), and had I been "the boss", she would have been canned on the spot--there's no excuse for her behavior. So perhaps Haase's needs to be told directly that some of what they did was top-notch, but some very definite corrections need to be made for next year.

Still and all, the positives for me far outweighed the negatives, and so long as I can fly, I'll be there each year. There were so many improvements this year, and I appreciate that a lot.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Wasn't there a shower trailer there, like in past years? That's where I was parked last year, and it was conveniently located near the fence--and actually provided better showers than the new shower house.

On tail to tail parking in the North 40, that's the way it was done on the first Saturday when I flew in. All of the south side of the North 40 was packed by Sunday evening. But curiously, people started flying out as early as Monday, and by Tuesday there were many vacant areas, and yet instead of "refilling" them, the volunteer guides were sending airplanes to the north side of the North 40--there were vacancies in the row I was in all week. I suppose it's a little easier to do that, but in past years when I couldn't come until later, like on Tuesday or Wednesday, I was still parked in vacant spaces on the south side of the North 40.

On food at the Seaplane Base, Haase's North 40 Cafe was excellent--good and relatively quick service, friendly staff, excellent food--where else can you get a rib-eye steak sandwich for the bucks? But at the Seaplane Base, same vendor, but the food choices were more limited, and yet I have to agree, the hamburger I had was excellent, as was the potato salad. But it did take a long time in line, perhaps because they didn't have enough grills going. Most of the staff were pleasant enough there, but there was a largish woman who (whether she was a manager or not) acted as if she was in charge, and she was obnoxious, boorish, sarcastic (to both staff and patrons), and had I been "the boss", she would have been canned on the spot--there's no excuse for her behavior. So perhaps Haase's needs to be told directly that some of what they did was top-notch, but some very definite corrections need to be made for next year.

Still and all, the positives for me far outweighed the negatives, and so long as I can fly, I'll be there each year. There were so many improvements this year, and I appreciate that a lot.

Cary
    That's the same rude individual that I referenced in my post earlier. I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

Also, separate gripe....at KidVenture...where were the shirts for the kids to color? My boy was looking forward to his shirt this year...to no avail.

Sam Swift
    Last edited by flyboycpa; 08-08-2013 at 05:14 PM.