Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Gripes

George, I am not sure of the Jeep folks, but the man on the Vespa looks like one of our longest serving warbird parking volunteers.And next year if you come up about Aug, 5, there should be a lot more photos opps without people in the way.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-11-2013 at 06:14 PM.

George,

Everything is relative, to spectators wanting to look at planes the photographer is the pest. We bend to you, you bend to us...it's like a business negotiation, if both parties are unhappy it's probably a good deal.

Paul

One odd thing I chuckled about was the airshow flightline volunteer who came down to ensure that not so much as a shoelace went past the flightline marker, (fair enough) but then stood 20ft or so in front of us during the Pearl Harbour sequence Taking his own photos (we were all sitting) so that every one of mine has him blocking the action.....
    could post pics but dont want to run down a volunteer(even if it was really annoying)
    "If it was supposed to be easy, everybody would be doing it...."

Proud designer / builder of Avian Adventurer ZK-CKE.

Being an amateur photographer myself, I can fully relate to George's gripes. However, it's really 'all in the game' and there's not much that can be done but to wait for the person obstructing your shot to move on, although sometimes it's just one after the other, in which case I usually give up and try again later. For instance, being very much a P-51 fan, I was very keen to get a shot of the newly restored Mustang in Korean War markings (with the sharkmouth) but it was constantly surrounded every time I passed it until late one afternoon towards the end of the airshow I found it clear, and thank you God I got my pic., which can now be seen on airliners.net!

Go to the flight line shortly after sunrise or between the end of the airshow and sunset. Not many people and the lighting is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi ZK-CKE View Post
    One odd thing I chuckled about was the airshow flightline volunteer who came down to ensure that not so much as a shoelace went past the flightline marker, (fair enough) but then stood 20ft or so in front of us during the Pearl Harbour sequence Taking his own photos (we were all sitting) so that every one of mine has him blocking the action.....
    could post pics but dont want to run down a volunteer(even if it was really annoying)
    If this happened this year and you were south of the com shack (i.e. Vintage territory), let me know. We had problems with that past and there was an edict this year that the crowd control guys were not to be out there shooting photos. Most people tend to sit down anyhow but I can't do that. I'm allergic to whatever they treat the grass with there. Just incidental contact with that crap (a little around my ankles and the heal of one hand) hasn't yet recovered fully. I got it from the night airshow which was the only one I wasn't playing the supervisory role.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Go to the flight line shortly after sunrise or between the end of the airshow and sunset. Not many people and the lighting is awesome.
    Yeah, you actually have a lot of time between sunrise and maybe 8-9. Back when Canon was still a sponsor and being very proactive, they used to have led tours/photo lessons early in the morning like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    A friend and Mustang fan, another Aussie, photographed the P51s during that evening period a couple years ago and found one particularly great angle from under one Mustang toward the setting sun. Another photographer was in his way for several minutes and didn't move, though he wasn't working. Finally I asked him politely how long he was going to be, and he moved away immediately with apologies. Most people aren't trying to be pests, they just honestly don't notice you and are happy to accommodate if you ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    towards the end of the airshow I found it clear, and thank you God I got my pic., which can now be seen on airliners.net!
    Any chance you could post a link to your photo? I'd love to see it.

Zack

I do have to say, if people obstructing photos is our biggest gripe, EAA must be doing a heck of a job!