Thread: Feds don't have to follow the rules at Oshkosh

Feds don't have to follow the rules at Oshkosh

getting my plane ready to leave thursday afternoon
    Couple of guys get into their Cessna XL jet--fire up and leave during the airshow ?????
    I think to myself--WTF--look up the N number on my Iphone--N3--belongs to the FAA
    NOW--if the feds are hurting for cash and have to charge us big $$$$ to have airventure.
    Then why are they flying around in a big jet with just a couple of people on board???
    Looks like they should cut those perks out if they are hurting for cash!!
    AND what gives them the right to break the rules and fly out when the airshow is going on??
    Then it hits me---they don't give a s%#t about us little people--but by god the upper managment is not going to take any cuts or give up any perks.
    Can anyone tell me why the FAA adminisrator needs a G5 ??

Told one of my old hippie friends about it--said he would chain himself to the FAA plane next year--would bring back memories of getting arrested protesting the goverment during the vietnam war.

Have to go--can hear the black helicopters circling over the house

I can understand the frustration of a spectator waiting for the end of the airshow to depart, but your perception of the FAA arbitrarily breaking rules is not correct. For the duration of the airshow, essentially the airshow Air Boss "owns" the airport. At the pre-show performer briefing they can plan for departures between acts, or during the show someone like the FAA can request that the Air Boss allow a departure between acts. This is not uncommonly done when a performer needs to fly and then pick up his or her gear and get going to another commitment. At OSH, I would expect that the departure was coordinated at the pre-show performer briefing and the crew waited until the Air Boss had one act going out and the previous one back down.

They obviously can not do this for you and I average civilian, but when I was performing in airshows I got to pre-coordinate at least one mid-show departure after my part of the show was done.

Hope this explanation helps.

Wes
    N78PS

I just ignorantly assumed they were there for normal business activities unrelated to EAA Oshkosh. As an example, I believe a field team was onsite to coordinate with the members of the kit aircraft evaluation team that met during the week. I'm sure there's other "normal" business that could be conducted as well, since, well, everyone in the aviation world is present in one place.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Note that all operations aren't necessarily shutdown during the airshow. If you look, there's stuff that makes it in and out of 9-27. However, it's hard to move some of the masses (we can't really move anything in Vintage) while the show is on because we lose Papa and the Ditch when just about anything is going on.

We were listening to the AirBoss freq during the airshow every afternoon and the Governor was allowed to depart in his KingAir during one of the airshows. In his radio calls the pilot mentioned they had the Governor onboard, perhaps to grease the skids
    Brock
    C172H | Central IL
    EAA #1001980

OK, I got it. Wes, Ron, Brock, they understand. There are the people who count and there are the people who pay. The masses. Got it.

Where was the Meet the Administrator session??

It galled me that The Administrator didn't seem to care enough about GA to address the largest single gathering of GA in a Meet the Administrator session at OSH. I then heard that he had a long standing, personal family commitment as his reason for not attending. I respect that and will spot him that one.

But then I heard that the Deputy Administrator came to OSH....in a Govt BizJet...and still didn't meet with GA?!?

Forgive my language, but Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?

this is wrong on too many levels.