Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbirds at Osh 2013?

Thunderbirds at Osh 2013?

Schedule from ICAS says yes, on July 31st. That would certainly be a first....
    ~Jim Buxton
    Columbus Ohio

This is just a wild guess with no factual information behind it, but I'm thinking that they could do an abbreviated show with some formation fly-bys and perhaps some single ship demos. My understanding is the aerobatic box isn't big enough for a full show because of the businesses and homes on the east side of the airport. I'm sure we'll get an update soon.

Zack

With the big cut in the defense budget and see what is on at our air base, I would not be surprised if the Thunderbirds do not come to AirVenture, or we see alot of military aircraft on display, as well.

According to the Thunderbird's web site they are scheduled in Oshkosh for the 31st of July. It doesn't say it will be the full show or just one F-16 as in the past though

Friday will tell. All military demo teams will be grounded if the budget isn't resolved (along with 40% of the surface warfare fleet unable to sail.)

3/1/2013 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- As the Air Force braces for potential sequester, leadership has cancelled all aviation support to public events for at least the remainder of the fiscal year and is standing down the Thunderbirds aerial demonstration team to save flying hours to support readiness needs.

Effective today, active-duty, Reserve and Guard units will cease all aviation support to the public. This includes the cancellation of support to all air shows, tradeshows, flyovers (including funerals and military graduations), orientation flights, heritage flights, F-22 demonstration flights and open houses, unless the event includes only local static assets.

Additionally, the Air Force will cancel the Thunderbirds' entire 2013 season beginning April 1.

The Thunderbirds and Heritage Flight crews will complete their certification procedures for safely flying aerial demonstrations in case the budget allows resumption of scheduled events in 2013, but and the Air Force will cease participation in Heritage flights following certification.

The Air Force will reduce flying hours by as much as 18 percent -- approximately 203,000 hours -- and impacts will be felt across the service and directly affect operational and training missions.

"While we will protect flying operations in Afghanistan and other contingency areas, nuclear deterrence and initial flight training, roughly two-thirds of our active-duty combat Air Force units will curtail home station training," said Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III.

Since all aerial support to public and military events is flown at no additional cost to the taxpayer using allotted training hours, the Air Force had no choice but to cancel support to these events.

"Engaging with the public is a core Air Force mission and communicating and connecting with the public is more important today than ever before. However, faced with deep budget cuts, we have no choice but to stop public aviation support," said Brig. Gen. Les Kodlick, the director of Air Force Public Affairs. "The Air Force will reevaluate the program at the end of the fiscal year and look for ways to curtail the program without having to cancel aviation support altogether."

The Air Force will continue to seek additional ways to remain engaged with the American public.

Sorry to bring up the old thread, but since the sequester knocked it off in 2013...the T-birds are on the schedule again now for 2014, this time two days?

Quote Originally Posted by glider90 View Post
    Sorry to bring up the old thread, but since the sequester knocked it off in 2013...the T-birds are on the schedule again now for 2014, this time two days?
    Nothing says Grass Roots Aviation like a military demo team that makes it impossible to carry on a conversation, participate in a forum, or read peacefully in the shade for the duration of the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Nothing says Grass Roots Aviation like a military demo team that makes it impossible to carry on a conversation, participate in a forum, or read peacefully in the shade for the duration of the performance.
    They are scheduled to be there the last Sat & Sun, so most of the "grass roots" people are long gone by then! Besides, what person who loves aviation doesn't get exited by the Thunderbirds? I think ALL aircraft are cool, from the smallest and slowest, to the biggest and loudest! I would love to fly in them all!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    ... what person who loves aviation doesn't get exited by the Thunderbirds?
    KRW...ahhhh, that would be me. Not just them but all jets. I'm a prop guy, jets don't do much for me. And I'm way beyond loving aviation, it's actually my mistress(extreme amounts of attention and money)!