Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plans Development

Plans Development

Assuming one has the wherewithal, how do you go about getting plans for a homebuilt "approved" as such, with an eye on selling the plans?

Not exactly sure how to take your question.

Generally a prototype aircraft is designed and built with numerous in progress sketches and corrections. A first stage of construction plans is created and a second proof of concept aircraft is built from the plans developed from the prototype. If the design proves to be successful and people like it there will be request for plans from people interested in building the design. There really is no entity that "approves" plans for sale. The integrity of the aircraft is the responsibility of the designer or the person holding the rights to the design.

Of one thing you can be sure. If you design it and sell plans, someone will modify it.
    Last edited by Neil; 09-14-2011 at 09:07 PM.

In the US at least, there is no plans "approval". It's quite possible to draw up plans for an aircraft that has never flown, or not even be flyable, and offer them for sale. Unethical, of course... but there are lots of outfits doing just that, especially in more far out things like "jet packs" and "flying saucers".

Thanks for the cautionary info.

Plan Development

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not exactly sure how to take your question.

Generally a prototype aircraft is designed and built with numerous in progress sketches and corrections. A first stage of construction plans is created and a second proof of concept aircraft is built from the plans developed from the prototype. If the design proves to be successful and people like it there will be request for plans from people interested in building the design. There really is no entity that "approves" plans for sale. The integrity of the aircraft is the responsibility of the designer or the person holding the rights to the design.

Of one thing you can be sure. If you design it and sell plans, someone will modify it.
    Thanks for the reply. I think my response to you was lost because it didn't show up afterward. Anyway, could you direct me to a publicaiton that speaks to the responsibiity issue? By the way, I was born in Louisiana and raised in Alexandria. Now I live in Connecticut with my Yankee wife. I have a nephew living in Monroe.

I don't know of any publication of the sort you are looking for. One may exist though. Best bet might be to talk with a lawyer that deals in liability cases.

A Yankee wife isn't a bad thing, they just talk funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The integrity of the aircraft is the responsibility of the designer or the person holding the rights to the design.
    No, the integrity of the aircraft is the responsibility of the person who builds it. This is why people can get away with selling garbage plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    No, the integrity of the aircraft is the responsibility of the person who builds it. This is why people can get away with selling garbage plans.
    An obvious error in wording on my part.

The integrity of the design is up to the designer, the integrity of the airplane is up to the builder. An airplane built precisely from poorly done, under engineered plans will be poorly done and under engineered.

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Assuming one has the wherewithal, how do you go about getting plans for a homebuilt "approved" as such, with an eye on selling the plans?
    The plans and supporting documents that were created by John Powell forty yeas ago for the Acey Deucy (my project) have the NASAD seal prominently displayed. NASAD is (was?) the National Association of Sport Aircraft Designers. As best I can tell (some quick googling), NASAD is no longer in existence. Apparently this voluntary organization would provide its stamp of approval to a design. Certain criteria needed to be met. But, unless someone knows otherwise, I believe they are no longer in existence.

You betcha, there's some really troubling drek sold in the rotorcraft segment that is completely unairworthy designs.