Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plans Development

To advertise plans in Sport Aviation, I believe there is a requirement for the prototype having completed some minimum number of flight hours. However, this is not a requirement for other publications, as witness the absurd things offered in, say, Popular Mechanics.

Yes the SA advertising requirements are right there at the front of of the "plans/kits" section. Not too hard - must have been operated a min of 25 hrs if using an FAA-certified engine, or 40 hours if non-certified engine. Should have satisfactorily demonstrated its advertised qualities. The FAA ops lims must have been amended to permit fight outside the test flight area. So basically, no stuff that has NOT been BUILT and FLOWN (and successfully completed the requirements of "Phase I" ops lims).

Doesn't necessarily mean it will be a design that meets YOUR requirements, or necessarily even a desirable airplane. But at least someone built ONE and flew it.

One issue I grabbed from mid last year showed about 25 ads, with several ads touting multiple different designs - so probably something on the order of 40 different designs being marketed this way.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by conodeuce View Post
    The plans and supporting documents that were created by John Powell forty yeas ago for the Acey Deucy (my project) have the NASAD seal prominently displayed. NASAD is (was?) the National Association of Sport Aircraft Designers. As best I can tell (some quick googling), NASAD is no longer in existence. Apparently this voluntary organization would provide its stamp of approval to a design. Certain criteria needed to be met. But, unless someone knows otherwise, I believe they are no longer in existence.
    I am fairly certain that the NASAD standards applied to the plans themselves and how they were organized and produced, not the integrity of the design of the aircraft therein. In the early days, a lot of plans were sold that were incomplete and left the builder to do a lot of "Imagineering (tm)". NASAD attempted to set standards for the completeness of the drawings, how they were organized and the associated builder's manual contents. If I am wrong about this, I am sure that someone will correct me.

Yes, sadly, NASAD is long defunct.