Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Telecom Improvement for 2013?

Any Telecom Improvement for 2013?

Not that it's going to make any diff to me attending this year, but I was just curious if anything has been done differently for 2013 WRT cell coverage.

In years past, I could have 5 bars of service, attempt to call my wife (on the grounds, also an AT&T user), and never be able to reach her. It seems that AT&T to AT&T just won't connect, but AT&T to other providers work just fine. AT&T from the grounds back to the dorms works just fine, though.

It got to the point where I'd call my neighbor (Sprint user), then he'd call my wife and relay the message.

Even txts would take 1/2 hr or more to get thru the system - not good when you're trying to set up a lunch connection.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Every year they set up mobile wireless cell towers all over the AirVenture grounds.
    The problem with telephone systems, (wireless or landline wired) is they can not
    handle the capacity if everyone calls at once.
    Remember ever hearing this on landlines "All Circuits Busy" Or a "Fast Busy"
    That means over capacity.
    On a wireless telephone system the call just dumps or keeps seaching for a connection until one becomes free.
    When you make a wireless call to wireless call, it eventually turns into a wired call then back to a wireless call.
    It just is not feasible to build a system that will handle everyone at the same time.
    The other problem is bandwidth, the pipe is just not big enough to carry the load of the calls, a bottle neck occurs.

EAA AirVenture grounds, call connection would be greatly enhanced by the implementation of fiber optic cabling
    to show center, then branch out from there.
    Everything would work better internet, mobile wireless cell towers and wired telephones.
    The location of AirVenture is just to far from suburbia for the local telephone company to make the investment.
    EAA would have to flip the bill.

It would be difficult to imagine the local phone company being able to justify spending the bucks to boost the bandwidth at AirVenture for one or two weeks out of fifty-two weeks to handle the AirVenture loading when the other weeks of the year would see the bandwidth severely underutilized. AirVenture is an anomaly to a year-round communications system.
    Last edited by Bill; 07-26-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    Bill

I won't arrive until Sunday, but my colleagues are there and they have been unable to make cell voice calls at the airport on AT&T Thursday, Friday, and today. Their phones work fine off the airport.

Maybe the portable sites aren't turned on yet?
    Last edited by Check 6; 08-10-2013 at 08:59 PM.

AT&T was crappy earlier but I'm right now standing on the flight line reading the forum.

Ron, ya beat me to it.

I just want to thank whomever for doing whatever to improve the AT&T service on the field. Not 100% perfect, but an acceptable level. I've been able to make voice calls, txts, and data with very very few problems.

WiFi has also been quite good this year; seemed to have been better earlier in the week. The last 2 days (Weds/Thurs), it gives me the prompt to connect, but then says "unable" before even getting to the accept screen.

Regardless, thank you, Thank You.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

No luck getting WIFI in the North 40 even a hundred feet from a WIFI hotspot. The laptop and iPad both said there was a wireless network available, but could not connect. We gave up after multiple attempts.

My experience has been slighty different. I have both Verizon LTE and ATT LTE devices here at AirVenture. Both ATT 4G and Verizon LTE work "OK" before noon but quickly degrade through the afternoon and evening to the point of being unusable for data and voice.

However, I found that ATT LTE (which is live at AirVenture) runs very fast 24/7. They must have hooked up ATT LTE to a different pipe locally because it works great.

No major issues with AT&T 4G/LTE or cell service. Did not make calls intragrounds like I tried last year so I can't speak to that. Also didn't use the wifi because I was too lazy to go to one of the hotspots in Scholler.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    No major issues with AT&T 4G/LTE or cell service. Did not make calls intragrounds like I tried last year so I can't speak to that. Also didn't use the wifi because I was too lazy to go to one of the hotspots in Scholler.
    Only two or three dropped or missed calls using the above service. I do wish that ATT has better coverage on the west side of town where we rent a house. Fortunately, the Skype app and our wifi at the house covered that (although my wife did wonder about the strange ANI's at first).
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.