Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sean D. Tucker New Young Eagles Chairman

Harrison Ford, while older, definitely had an impact on kids.

One morning during OSH '04 (?), when my son was about 13 years old, we decided to catch breakfast at the Hilton before heading into the show. (For those unfamiliar, the Hilton adjoins the North 40 aircraft camping area, and offers respite from the heat and a decent breakfast buffet.)

We were seated, got our drinks -- and then noticed that Harrison Ford, his wife Callista Flockhart, and their young son were seated at the next table.

My son almost died on the spot. THERE was Han Solo, right freaking THERE! AND Indiana Jones!

I was proud to be an EAAer that day. No one hassled them for an autograph until the very end, when they were done eating and some guy just couldn't contain himself anymore.

Bottom line: Harrison Ford still had "street cred" with kids.

But I hear you about getting a young, relevant Hollywood personality to be chairman. Sean Tucker is awesome, but almost completely unknown, outside of the airshow world.

I had the same thought, that all three of our recent Young Eagle chairmen where older men who may not be household words for teenagers. I think Tucker is over 60 and certainly Ford and Yeager were much older. I will give Yeager lot's of credit for having actually flown a number of Young Eagle kids himself. I am sure that Ford and Tucker have helped in fund raising and publicity, also and that may be an important part.

But, maybe it would be good to have someone who rings a bell with the younger crowd which is the target audience for Young Eagles. But even though I have thought about it, I can't come up with who that person might be. Tom Cruise is no longer the teen idol that he was and I am not sure if any of the new stars are pilots or in general aviation more than just riding in the back of a charter jet.

The point was twofold...

First find someone who is more relevant to the teens today (try to find one who is a decent role model while you're at it)

Second, it's a pretty smart move to have this person NOT be a pilot, because you are going to publicly MAKE them into a pilot... just like Young Eagles is the first step to making the next generation of pilots overall.

Finding a young relevant star who is already a pilot and not a poor role model is probably difficult if not impossible, and then you'd lose the incredible opportunity to publicize the crap out of their flying lessons and the Young Eagles program.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt. Both pilots, both 'quite' well known, inside & outside aviation, & great with kids.

I had no idea that they were both pilots, wonder if they are EAA members.
    But just like Tom Cruise, Brad is over 50 and probably not the first poster on the wall of teenagers.
    Getting a famous young person to learn to fly with EAA is an interesting idea, but might have a lot of obstacles, like their contract with music or movie people regarding flying as dangerous and also the time needed to learn.

Obstacles yes, insurmountable no.

If an existing celebrity pilot like Angelina Jolie offered to become Young Eagles chairperson, you would get a good size bump in the press coverage for a week.

If a non-pilot like Taylor Swift or Scotty McCreery agreed to learn how to fly with the help of EAA, over the course of six to twelve months (because of their hectic touring schedule and time commitments, ahem), then you would get a huge bump in press coverage for... wait for it... six to twelve months
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

Born: William Bradley Pitt
    December 18, 1963 in Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA
    Bill, close but he's not 50 yet!! And Angelina is not 40 for another couple of years yet.

Personally, I think it's high time there was a YE chairwoman. And she has the best credentials of anyone out there. Pilot, ambassador, parent, significant lobbying experience, nationally & internationally, so has good contacts in government, great role model & is already involved a number of organisations supporting children. What's not to like about her?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet Davidson View Post
    Personally, I think it's high time there was a YE chairwoman. And she has the best credentials of anyone out there. Pilot, ambassador, parent, significant lobbying experience, nationally & internationally, so has good contacts in government, great role model & is already involved a number of organisations supporting children. What's not to like about her?
    All excellent qualifications for the job...and telegenic to boot. I'm sold Janet. What's her number?....let's call her.

Janet, a woman as chairperson of Young Eagles?? Geez, don't encourage them or next thing is they will be wanting to run for President and fly military planes, of swim from Cuba to Florida, or race in a men's downhill. Or even get equal pay for equal work!

By the way, Janet Gutherie lives here and is a friend of mine, and is a pilot as well as driver, but she doesn't fly anymore I don't think.

And you know what the Indians say about the role of men and women: Before the white man came to America things were pretty good: The women did all the cooking and cleaning, the men did all the hunting and fighting, there were vast herds of buffalo and deer, and there was no small pox and no income tax. Then the white man came along and changed all that and called it "PROGRESS".
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-24-2013 at 11:02 AM.

An interesting news item today on Yahoo. The headline reads like FAA bans Anjelina Jolie from flying her plane. Sound ominous, but reading it you find that is it only that she didn't get her re registration in time so tecnically it is not airworthy.
    It says she has been a pilot since 2004, owns a Cirrus SR-22 and loves to fly.
    She is a fine actress give enough of a story to work with. Ignore the silly C grade poor Bond imitations and see the one where she is a Mother who had a baby kidnapped and was then given the wrong child by the police and state of California and she was threateined by cops when she complained, based on a sad and true story, and if you are a parent it gives you nightmares.