Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean D. Tucker New Young Eagles Chairman

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sean D. Tucker New Young Eagles Chairman

I was just reading my morning news, and I see that Sean Tucker is the new Honorary Chairman for the Young Eagles program. Excellent choice! While Sully & Jeff did a great job, it looks like the program is best served with an occasional change to keep the high interest level.

About the only challenge I see is that the non-aviation public may need an introduction to Sean, but that turns into an opportunity once they see what he does, and who he is.

It's got to be made clear that Sean's performance flights are not representative of a typical Young Eagles flight!

Good news. Thanks for posting.

I was sure it would be Colonel Chris too.

Just to let everyone know....just days after Sean D. Tucker took the Chairperson's position of Young Eagles, he was on the phone with VP Jeff Skiles with several ideas to promote Young Eagle thru the media, during all of his aerobatic performances and much much more! Sean will definitely work very hard to promote Young Eagles to the public and promote GA to all! Glad to have him on board with YE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Janz View Post
    Just to let everyone know....just days after Sean D. Tucker took the Chairperson's position of Young Eagles, he was on the phone with VP Jeff Skiles with several ideas to promote Young Eagle thru the media, during all of his aerobatic performances and much much more! Sean will definitely work very hard to promote Young Eagles to the public and promote GA to all! Glad to have him on board with YE!!

Since top aerobatic aerobatic pilot Sean D. Tucker is the now the Young Eagles Chairperson, it seems only fitting that the voluntary Young Eagle pilots should be allowed to excercise the option (and discretion) of including aerobatic maneuvers on their Young Eagle flights.

-Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Gordon View Post
    Since top aerobatic aerobatic pilot Sean D. Tucker is the now the Young Eagles Chairperson, it seems only fitting that the voluntary Young Eagle pilots should be allowed to exercise the option (and discretion) of including aerobatic maneuvers on their Young Eagle flights.

-Glenn
    I read that and was SHOCKED, shocked I tell you. Like we aren't doing it now! Then I realized you probably meant INTENTIONAL aerobatics. Never mind.

Sean is an excellent choice as our Young Eagles Chairman and we are very excited about working with him. He brings his excitement and new venues to our Young Eagles program and has already been involved in planning and developing new and additional ways communicate the Young Eagles program to both aviation and non aviation public. Sean is very aware that his typical type of fling is not representative of a Young Eagles flight and he will not be conducting any aerobatic flights for Young Eagles.
    Brian O'Lena, EAA Lifetime #645286

Harrison Ford, while older, definitely had an impact on kids.

One morning during OSH '04 (?), when my son was about 13 years old, we decided to catch breakfast at the Hilton before heading into the show. (For those unfamiliar, the Hilton adjoins the North 40 aircraft camping area, and offers respite from the heat and a decent breakfast buffet.)

We were seated, got our drinks -- and then noticed that Harrison Ford, his wife Callista Flockhart, and their young son were seated at the next table.

My son almost died on the spot. THERE was Han Solo, right freaking THERE! AND Indiana Jones!

I was proud to be an EAAer that day. No one hassled them for an autograph until the very end, when they were done eating and some guy just couldn't contain himself anymore.

Bottom line: Harrison Ford still had "street cred" with kids.

But I hear you about getting a young, relevant Hollywood personality to be chairman. Sean Tucker is awesome, but almost completely unknown, outside of the airshow world.

I had the same thought, that all three of our recent Young Eagle chairmen where older men who may not be household words for teenagers. I think Tucker is over 60 and certainly Ford and Yeager were much older. I will give Yeager lot's of credit for having actually flown a number of Young Eagle kids himself. I am sure that Ford and Tucker have helped in fund raising and publicity, also and that may be an important part.

But, maybe it would be good to have someone who rings a bell with the younger crowd which is the target audience for Young Eagles. But even though I have thought about it, I can't come up with who that person might be. Tom Cruise is no longer the teen idol that he was and I am not sure if any of the new stars are pilots or in general aviation more than just riding in the back of a charter jet.

The point was twofold...

First find someone who is more relevant to the teens today (try to find one who is a decent role model while you're at it)

Second, it's a pretty smart move to have this person NOT be a pilot, because you are going to publicly MAKE them into a pilot... just like Young Eagles is the first step to making the next generation of pilots overall.

Finding a young relevant star who is already a pilot and not a poor role model is probably difficult if not impossible, and then you'd lose the incredible opportunity to publicize the crap out of their flying lessons and the Young Eagles program.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com