Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bag searches at Gates

"a necessary evil"? There is no such thing. There is just evil.

I think you are all missing the point here. Bag searches aren't about safety. The are about creating the illusion of safety. If someone wanted to being something not so nice into the grounds there are a few hundred other ways they can do it other than by carrying it in a bag at the main gate. Those bag searches are only there to give the general public attending the show the illusion of being safe. I done like the idea of the searches being carried out but since I usually was in one of the side gates early in the morning I never was searched so I can't really complain

Keith

This morning will be day 6 for me. I've walked through the main gate every morning wearing my chair/backpack. Never been stopped. Of course now that I said that... There's a lot of things that are different now than the way it used to be at the convention. And not all of them I like. But you can't go see an NFL game without a pat down or search. So I'm not surprised by this.

Quote Originally Posted by kmacht View Post
    I think you are all missing the point here. Bag searches aren't about safety. The are about creating the illusion of safety. If someone wanted to being something not so nice into the grounds there are a few hundred other ways they can do it other than by carrying it in a bag at the main gate. Those bag searches are only there to give the general public attending the show the illusion of being safe. I done like the idea of the searches being carried out but since I usually was in one of the side gates early in the morning I never was searched so I can't really complain

Keith

I just love this post. Because this person has never been searched they can not complain. But wait until it does happen to them, then they will want things changed. Its one of those things. Its ok as long as its you but as soon as its me I will complain.

Terrible remark.

I have to admit that I am deeply disappointed with EAA sinking to the level of random searches. Bag searches at a few points are pointless given the open nature of the grounds. Even worse, they are not needed. Airventure is one of the safest places on earth and is what Disneyland is aspiring to be. Don't spoil it with security theater and lip service.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I just love this post. Because this person has never been searched they can not complain. But wait until it does happen to them, then they will want things changed. Its one of those things. Its ok as long as its you but as soon as its me I will complain.

Terrible remark.
    I agree with kmacht. You are making some huge assumptions there.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    I agree with kmacht. You are making some huge assumptions there.
    No assumptions here.

He Stated..I never was searched so I can't really complain...So get search then complain...I am not argueing searches or no searches. What I am saying is do not say its ok as long as its the other guy, for someday it will be you. One of the problems we have in America, we turn our back when its the other person, but as soon as it happens to us then we complain and want action.

I do not see how I am making assumptions when this was spelled out in black and white by the person whom posted this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatFlight View Post
    I saw a lot of bags being searched, but mine wasn't. My husband asked if they wanted to check our chair bags, but the worker declined. I thought that was a little odd - you could probably put a long/thin weapon of some sort inside those chair sleeves..
    No assumptions here.

He Stated..I never was searched so I can't really complain...So get search then complain...I am not argueing searches or no searches. What I am saying is do not say its ok as long as its the other guy, for someday it will be you. One of the problems we have in America, we turn our back when its the other person, but as soon as it happens to us then we complain and want action.

I do not see how I am making assumptions when this was spelled out in black and white by the person whom posted this comment.

Since I posted the comment let me fix your assumptions. I wasn't searched and wouldn't care if I had been. Airventure is a gathering put on by a private organization and if they want to institute searches at the main gate that is their right. If you don't like having your bag searched feel free to stay home. I don't think you will be missed

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by kmacht View Post
    Since I posted the comment let me fix your assumptions. I wasn't searched and wouldn't care if I had been. Airventure is a gathering put on by a private organization and if they want to institute searches at the main gate that is their right. If you don't like having your bag searched feel free to stay home. I don't think you will be missed

Keith

Why not just say..leave the bag at home....Simple easy fix...

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    No assumptions here.

Then perhaps your reading comprehension skills are lacking.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)