Thread: Is there any news on innovations for homebuilders?

Is there any news on innovations for homebuilders?

I've seen info on the $279,000 Terrafugia, the .84-ton Icon, lots on warbirds, and $2 million "personal" jets but not much for the homebuilders. Are there any new designs? New engines? New displays? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Dave S; 07-31-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    I've seen info on the $279,000 Terrafugia, the .84-ton Icon, lots on warbirds, and $2 million "personal" jets but not much for the homebuilders. Are there any new designs? New engines? New displays? Am I missing something?
    Isn't the price on the .84 ton Icon up to $279,000 as well?

lol.

Hmmm... I'm seeing a trend here... I just can't help but laugh anymore, when they bring up the term "affordable aviation" or the phrase "bringing a more affordable product to the home builder, sport pilot, etc..." They go into a long spill about their product then lose me with the last line, describing the pricing... [RANT] "Well, Chuck, we're bringing you the all new, super duper, long range, never before so easily built aircraft." "Well what kind of pricing are we talking about, here, Bill?" "Well, we're offering the kit at a market leading, unbelievably low, airshow introductory price of................................................ ....... 9 meeeeeeeeeelion dollars.... or you can order the quick build option, for just an arm and a leg, and a first born, more! (and of course this is just the airframe)". "OH, and act now, and for a couple kidneys, we'll throw in our bottom of the line power and barely vfr package!" "Yea, Bill, those are some amazing prices! Much cheaper than the older super medium range, hard to build, leading brand aircraft..." [/RANT] Thanks to all the lawyers, and this messed up economy, us normal po' folks can't afford to build anything, hardly anymore. God bless all of you that have the opportunity to do it, and give the rest of us peons some beautiful creations for us to drool over.
    Last edited by I_FLY_LOW; 07-31-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Isn't the price on the .84 ton Icon up to $279,000 as well?

lol.
    The .84 ton Icon is a veritable bargain at $189,000 (with standard equipment) per the Icon website estimated price. Heck, for only $125,000 I can buy a SubSonex, have some real fun, and save enough money to buy 11,743 gallons of Jet A at todays prices.
    Bill

I just returned from Oshkosh yesterday. I saw two things that really interested me on the homebuilt front. Both were in the EAA Innovations Center. The first was Open Source Aviation, web site is www.makerplane.org. They are making open source plans available at no cost to people. They make their money by providing parts such as Ardunio boards etc. The had an interesting open source LSA design project that you could build with a lower cost CNC machine. Their free avionics and avionics parts included audio mixers and mini panels, cellphone and music mixer, wig-wag light controllers, tone and light annunciators, and much more. The second interesting innovation was a new engine from South Africa, www.adeptairmotive.com. These guys have been staying below the radar while they developed the engine to avoid the DeltaHawk syndrome etc. Its now complete and they are installing it in six airplanes in the US for testing purposes. It should be available shortly after. The current engine is a geared 280-320 HP series, with plans to downsize and capture the O-320 and O-360 market. They plan to sell it initially to the experimental market, then work on certification. It had a compact 120 degree V6 architecture, liquid and oil cooling, integrated PRSU, dry sump aerobatic capability, and operates on Mogas, Avgas or Biofuel. They expect to sell it for substantially less than the current US competition. What intrigued me was they built it from the ground up, it looked solid, no promises, no attempt to solicit deposits for development etc. This could be exciting -- we'll see.

Jerry Folkerts
    Flew my Cygnet to Oshkosh and Back after a 20 year and 3 month build!

Congrats on your project, and trip!
    Any pics, or build thread on your Cygnet?

Check my threads, you'll see a picture and report on the Cygnet.
    Best,
    Jerry Folkerts

Searching, now.
    Thanks!