Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Camp Scholler Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    They don't have people who can go select and mark a site.
    Jim, it is all ready happening with the "first pay, first serve" electrical and water camping sites. If you go through that area each site is clearly marked. No people are needed to volunteer for this activity. You pay for these sites before AirVenture then just drive to your designated site when you arrive. The only task required is that over the next year some number of "first pay, first serve" without electricity and water sites need to be labeled, then begin automated registration and fee collection with ReserveAmerica.com. If there is some other cost that needs to be covered for "first pay, first serve" then just charge more for a reserved spot than is charged for general camping.

Anyway the little secret is out. EAA has rules that you cannot reserve a site unless you are physically present at AirVenture. The rules are flagrantly violated and everyone is winking. Meanwhile the member who follows the rules and arrives sometime during the show must park miles way by Highway 41.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Anyway the little secret is out. EAA has rules that you cannot reserve a site unless you are physically present at AirVenture. The rules are flagrantly violated and everyone is winking. Meanwhile the member who follows the rules and arrives sometime during the show must park miles way by Highway 41.
    Interesting because I have heard staffers talking about staking sites for friends who don't live locally. Just has to be somebody with an EAA number. BTW, you can also have more than one site, guess how I know...
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

I guess. As a group I have been really impressed with the caliber of EAA members. They always impressed me as an orderly group who follow the rules. In this case I guess I was wrong.

All the more reason to change the game.

If you are listening EAA give us reason why regular camping spots cannot be offered next year on a "First paid, first served" basis and remove the requirement to be present in Oshkosh to reserve a camping spot.
    Before you go around throwing out personal insults, tell me what rule you think it is that I have so brazenly violated. There's nothing in the camping information and guidelines nor in the camp guide that says outright that it's illegal to pay for and mark out spaces for others. The only rule anybody has quoted was that it is required that one person in the group be an EAA member. In the case I was referring to not only am I but also the person whose site I set up, an EAA Member.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Before you go around throwing out personal insults, tell me what rule you think it is that I have so brazenly violated. There's nothing in the camping information and guidelines nor in the camp guide that says outright that it's illegal to pay for and mark out spaces for others. The only rule anybody has quoted was that it is required that one person in the group be an EAA member. In the case I was referring to not only am I but also the person whose site I set up, an EAA Member.
    Not throwing around personal insults. I direct you to the AirVenture Where to Stay page.

An EAA member must be present to obtain camping credential and campsite;
    I did call EAA before AirVenture started to confirm the rule. I did have friends on site early, but I decided to follow the rule.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 08-11-2013 at 11:53 AM.

CAMPER & RV RENTAL
    An EAA member must be present to obtain camping credential and campsite; RV vendors are not permitted on-site without the EAA member present. RV vendors may not purchase camping credential on an EAA member's behalf. Camping credentials are non-transferrable.
    View a listing of camper and RV rental services in the area

Since you've used this quote out of context (intentionally or not) twice in this thread, here is the complete paragraph that the quote is taken from. It deals with rental RVs being delivered to Camp Scholler, and has nothing to do with members staking out campsites for themselves or others. The rule that you refer to does not exist, at least not in the context that you imply that it does. It clearly states several times that sites are "first come, first served." The lone exception are the improved (water and electric sites) which can be reserved on a "first paid, first served" basis.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    CAMPER & RV RENTAL
    An EAA member must be present to obtain camping credential and campsite; RV vendors are not permitted on-site without the EAA member present. RV vendors may not purchase camping credential on an EAA member's behalf. Camping credentials are non-transferrable.
    View a listing of camper and RV rental services in the area

Since you've used this quote out of context (intentionally or not) twice in this thread, here is the complete paragraph that the quote is taken from. It deals with rental RVs being delivered to Camp Scholler, and has nothing to do with members staking out campsites for themselves or others. The rule that you refer to does not exist, at least not in the context that you imply that it does. It clearly states several times that sites are "first come, first served." The lone exception are the improved (water and electric sites) which can be reserved on a "first paid, first served" basis.
    I was confused by that as well. That is why I called AirVenture in June for the clarification. The member present rule was said to apply. Now maybe the person I talked to had the facts wrong. I was not calling to enquire about placing an RV on a site.

I am specifically referring to one EAA member (or non member) using another EAA member's credentials to reserve a camping site when that member was not present at AirVenture.

I apologize if I got bad information, but that is what I was told.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 08-11-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Not throwing around personal insults. I direct you to the AirVenture Where to Stay page.

I did call EAA before AirVenture started to confirm the rule. I did have friends on site early, but I decided to follow the rule.
    An EAA member was present. As I pointed out before both the person buying the credentials and the person actually using them were both EAA members.

There is no doubt that Camp Scholler can be miserable for the first timer. It took me quite a few years to learn the ropes. The locals and old timers have a decided advantage. A first timer like the OP will spend most of his/her time just wlking around trying to figure out the lay of the land. Having said that, I've found that everyone at Oshkosh has a story. Whether they are camping at the North 40, Camp Scholler, a motel in FonduLac, or in Vintage. everyone knows the best way to experience Oshkosh. Perhaps there could be an "advice for the first timer" column in the magazine, with short interviews of the "what one bit of advice would you give a newcomer" variety.

We all want new comers to have as great an experience as we have at the convention. Hopefully th OP will come back and give us another chance.