Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camp Scholler Blues

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    I think the "adoption" idea has a lot of merit, and l'll definitely be bringing it up in our upcoming debriefs, formal and otherwise.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Thanks for the positive follow up guys, I'm glad that sharing my experience will help others in the future. Although disappointed with the camping, overall I have enjoyed myself- its a great event.
    I've even done a bit for EAA by taking part in the oral history project at the museum... That was a lot of fun! I also visited the seaplane base and decided that that has to be the best camping spot - I'll just have to organise a seaplane for my next visit!
    "If it was supposed to be easy, everybody would be doing it...."

Proud designer / builder of Avian Adventurer ZK-CKE.

To be honest, this doesn't sound too far off my Scholler experience last year. My partner and I drove up, and don't get me wrong, we had a great time. It was our first visit to OSH, and there was never any question as to whether we were coming back. But we did decide the next trip would be a flying trip, so this year we lived in the North 40 for a week.

The issue of very little in the way of dining options is familiar to us. Luckily, we drove up, and thus were able to easily leave the grounds and get food without either hiking half a mile or waiting for a bus. This is starkly contrasted by the North 40, where we were an easy five-minute walk from the North 40 Cafe. (which, I must say, has pretty darn good food)

In fairness, I can't pretend to have a solution for this. Scholler is a big place, and I don't see any way to have dining options that are convenient for all or even most of the occupants. And while the North 40 Cafe was very close to our spot, we were also somewhat lucky there. Some parts of the North 40 are nowhere near as well-located. Still, there's a vast difference in convenience between setting up on Saturday afternoon in the North 40 vs. Scholler. Renting a plane for the trip up - because we don't own one, at least not until that magical day when the RV-8 gets finished - is not cheap at all, but I don't see myself coming to OSH any other way in the future if I can help it.

Maybe what we need is some kind of social center smack dab in the middle of Camp Scholler.

The first come first served rule is a tough one. Yes, locals do come and stake out a campsite early - I staked mine out the Wednesday before the convention began. But, I paid the nightly camping fee from that day to the end of the convention. I have a season pass to Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI. This isn't as big a venue as AirVenture, but they have reserved campsites in one camping area and general first come first serve in the rest of the track. The reserved are also first come first serve with reservations taken starting the beginning of January with previous year's campers having precedence. So, you have so much time to re-reserve the previous year's spot after which it goes up to the general public - season ticket holders having precedence over the general public.

I suppose I could find fault with that system, too. What's fair? If EAA did it the Road America way, I guarantee camping spots would be passed down through families like Green Bay Packer season tickets. I think the way they're doing it is the best compromise. IMHO
    Last edited by wltrmtty; 08-09-2013 at 06:52 PM.

It's not just locals. I know a number of people who fly in early, mark out camp sites and leave. You can also see if you can find a relatively local buddy to do so for you. I've marked out (and paid for) airplane campsites for friends.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    It's not just locals. I know a number of people who fly in early, mark out camp sites and leave. You can also see if you can find a relatively local buddy to do so for you. I've marked out (and paid for) airplane campsites for friends.
    Yes, a member who does not live locally could ask a "buddy" to pay for and stake out a campsite. Of course that is against the rules. There should be a way for a member to reserve (and pay) for a campsite early on a "first paid, first served" basis just like the electrical and water camp sites. As I understand the "first paid, first served" electrical and water camp sites, you only need to call and give them a credit card to secure a site. "First paid, first served" is a free market solution to the problem. If you want a good campsite and are willing to pay extra to get it, you should be able to get it without traveling to Oshkosh 30 days early or breaking the rules.

This would be very easy to implement and supply additional revenue to AirVenture. I was parked right next to a "first paid, first served" electrical and water camp area. Each campsite had a little sign in front like "L30". Just do the same thing for a site without services. The additional revenue obtained by folks booking early without traveling to Oshkosh would more than cover the costs of post a sign and taking a reservation. ReserveAmerica.com has a turn key automated web based service to do the whole job of booking and taking money. All EAA has to do is post some signs.

For the regular campsites, the rule is pretty clear. That makes it pretty tough for a member living in New Zealand or California to get a spot early and still follow the rules.

"An EAA member must be present to obtain camping credential and campsite;"
    Last edited by turbopilot; 08-10-2013 at 04:10 PM.

If it's against the rules, it is the most disregarded rule I've ever seen at Oshkosh. You can't buy camping credentials without a EAA number (which they'll be happy to look up for you on the computer if you don't have your card or committed it to memory). In the cases I've bought spaces, both the agent (me) and the person camping have EAA memberships. I put it under their name and EAA number on the thing and either use cash/check or their credit card to the refund for the unused days goes to them not me.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    If it's against the rules, it is the most disregarded rule I've ever seen at Oshkosh.
    I guess. As a group I have been really impressed with the caliber of EAA members. They always impressed me as an orderly group who follow the rules. In this case I guess I was wrong.

All the more reason to change the game.

If you are listening EAA give us reason why regular camping spots cannot be offered next year on a "First paid, first served" basis and remove the requirement to be present in Oshkosh to reserve a camping spot.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    If you are listening EAA give us reason why regular camping spots cannot be offered next year on a "First paid, first served" basis and remove the requirement to be present in Oshkosh to reserve a camping spot.
    I think I can tell you why this won't happen. EAA/volunteer manpower or lack thereof. If you are up there early to get a spot you stake it out yourself. They don't have people who can go select and mark a site.

Find or make a friend in the area that can set one up for you, I have several friends from St. Louis who do exactly that!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem