Thread: Level 1 Thunderstorm?

Question Level 1 Thunderstorm?

Does anyone actually know what a level 1 and 2 thunderstorm is? Is this a common term for pilots (which I am not)? On Wednesday we had some bad weather in the area and where told to take shelter because of a level 1 thunderstorm followed by a level 2 thunderstorm. I give them credit for putting our safety first, put they should have used terms people understood so we knew better what was coming. Interestingly we took shelter in the Govt hanger where NOAA had their booth with a weather radar running. When we asked, they didn't know what level 1 or 2 thunderstorms was either! Thankfully the storm went around us and the night show was incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by John Leidel View Post
    Does anyone actually know what a level 1 and 2 thunderstorm is? Is this a common term for pilots (which I am not)? On Wednesday we had some bad weather in the area and where told to take shelter because of a level 1 thunderstorm followed by a level 2 thunderstorm. I give them credit for putting our safety first, put they should have used terms people understood so we knew better what was coming. Interestingly we took shelter in the Govt hanger where NOAA had their booth with a weather radar running. When we asked, they didn't know what level 1 or 2 thunderstorms was either! Thankfully the storm went around us and the night show was incredible!
    Level 1 thru 6 used to be descriptive terms used in radar meteorology to describe thunderstorm severity, but that was changed several yrs ago to light, moderate, heavy and extreme.

In other countries they use the term Thunderstorm Warning Level 1 and Thunderstorm Warning Level 2. Maybe it was a foreign weather guy on duty that day?

Thank you MartyMayes, I learn something new everyday!