Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The New Food Selection Thread

I'd like to see some of the little booths that just sold soft-serve ice cream, a few candies like boxed M and M's, and FOUNTAIN SODAS WITH ICE back next year.

I'm with Mark. Getting an ice cream cone at the end of the day was a 30 year tradition. A&W not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangar10 View Post
    Food was good, with one exception... where was the delicious soft serve ice cream? May sound dumb, but that stuff was one of the highlights of our visit each year. Dove bars and such are ok, but I can get that stuff in my local freezer. The cones were great, missed not having any this year.

Yep, the Machine Shed bbq pork sandwiches at ultralights were massive, with a massive cookie, soda, and chips for $10 could not be beat. Great new food choices, well done. Agree about the fountain drinks though, although I never had the problems with warm soda. The one time I got one, I asked for a cold one, got an apology and a cold one.

The "ribeye steak sandwich" at the North 40 Cafe was a bad joke. All vendors elsewhere were quite good. The new scheme is a big improvement!
    Dan Horton
    RV-8 Fastback
    Barrett IO-390
    Alabama

Overall, I think the food selection was pretty good. My wife and friend had hard times trying to find "healthy" (gluten-free and/or something not wrapped in a bun) choices other than a salad at Aces.

My only negative experience happened when we went over to the Seaplane Base to have [what has always been] the best lunch at Airventure. We were SO very disappointed with Haase's service. They were very rude, woefully unprepared (i.e., out of most of what we wanted), served warm soda & water, and the supervisor/manager whateverthehellsheis was such an unbelievable wench that I will never give Haase any of my money again (as a vendor or the real Haase restaurant). The story goes that I had a piece of food stuck in my esophagus and couldn't "eject" it up or down. Usually when that happens I can chug some water and it will force the errant piece down; however, as I was being seen by the onsite Medic I sent my buddy over to PURCHASE a bottle of water. As he quickly approached the Haase counter and held out his money and said, "I need a bottle of water quick, my friend has a piece of food stuck in his throat." The wench [who was counting the money in the tip jar] slammed her tip money down and tersely said, "Can't you see I'm busy?!? The First Aid tent has free water." My buddy responded, "This is kind of an emergency, I'm not looking for FREE water, I want to purchase a bottle, right NOW!" She then proceeded to tell my buddy, "You're probably the one here yesterday that had my sister in tears!" [UNBELIEVABLE] He told her that we hadn't been to the SPB until today. She finally handed him a bottle and took the money.

Where was the famous SPB corn? Where was the famous SPB Friday night fish fry? I actually sought out the SPB Chairman, Paul Seehafer, to discuss the issues we had with the rudeness of the employees at Haase. He patiently listened, but we'll never know what happens for next year.

Sam Swift
    EAA 626907
    VAA 31122

The "ribeye steak sandwich" at the North 40 Cafe was a bad joke.
    Disagree. I had it 3 different times, and it was excellent each time--tender, tasty, etc. That plus great onion rings and a beer made a fine dinner, only 50' from my airplane!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Interstater
    While the soft serve ice cream of the past was always good, the real ice cream from Kelley's Creamery rocked! It was in the stand across from the brown arch, if you guys missed it you missed something really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstater View Post
    While the soft serve ice cream of the past was always good, the real ice cream from Kelley's Creamery rocked! It was in the stand across from the brown arch, if you guys missed it you missed something really good.
    Yep I like the hand dipped stuff, but some of our friends really dig the soft serve. The A&W stands had it in a couple of places, but our little Zaug's icecream stand next to the Hangar cafe was removed and not replaced with any new vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Disagree. I had it 3 different times, and it was excellent each time--tender, tasty, etc. That plus great onion rings and a beer made a fine dinner, only 50' from my airplane!

Cary
    I never did try the ribeye sandwich at the N40 Cafe, but I agree, the food there was much better than I expected from an event. I think the operation could use some efficiency improvements, and sometimes things were a bit slow, but it didn't bother me. Personally, i don't go to Oshkosh, or on any other vacation, to be in a hurry. If I find myself in a hurry, I'm probably doing something wrong.

I was super sad to see the EAA donuts were not back this year. I walked all around the grounds one morning hoping I might spot their delicious location in the brave new food world. But sadly, it seems that my routine of watching the flight line wake up while eating a hot cake donut and reading the daily paper is only a memory now. Please consider brining them back. The mini donuts are absolutely not a substitute!