Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insuring Your Plane on the Way to the Airport

Insuring Your Plane on the Way to the Airport - Arrived Safely

Thanks for all the info.If you don't have hull insurance on your plane, while you are trailering it to the airport, is there any way to cover the plane against accidental damage? My auto insurance company says they can insure the trailer but not the content. Thanks. -glen
    Last edited by N404CX; 08-07-2013 at 08:49 AM.

I doubt it. I contacted my auto insurance and told them I was moving my EAB to the airport because I just purchased a hangar. I wanted this covered while in the trailer in case someone hit me. No way is what they said. We will cover the other person and trailer, truck but not the eab in the trailer. Out of luck is what they told me, do not have an accident is what they said.

Quote Originally Posted by N404CX View Post
    If you don't have hull insurance on your plane, while you are trailering it to the airport, is there any way to cover the plane against accidental damage? My auto insurance company says they can insure the trailer but not the content. Thanks. -glen
    There are companies that will insure your under construction homebuilt airplane project and if the trip to the airport is not covered, I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to obtain coverage for that, even it it's done with a binder.

Hmm - I'm surprised, my State Farm auto policy covers my trailer & any personal property in the truck or the trailer. I specifially asked once when I was going to haul a car & several thousand dollars worth of parts home from a swap meet once.

Your homeowner's policy may cover the contents of your vehicle & trailer if your auto policy won't, but if the value is very high you may have to specifically add it to the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Hmm - I'm surprised, my State Farm auto policy covers my trailer & any personal property in the truck or the trailer. I specifially asked once when I was going to haul a car & several thousand dollars worth of parts home from a swap meet once.

Your homeowner's policy may cover the contents of your vehicle & trailer if your auto policy won't, but if the value is very high you may have to specifically add it to the policy.
    Call and ask if they will cover your EAB in your trailer and see what they say. I would almost bet money on it that I know the answer. When I purchased a couple EAB airplanes I wanted them insured for the long trip home. Not doing it is what I was told. They would not cover anything aviation related.

Like Glen mentioned, you'll need hull insurance. At this stage of the game, otherwise known as builder insurance. Most companies charge about 1% of the insured value for a premium.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

If whatever is in the trailer has a registration card/document/tag/whatever, they won't cover it. However, if it's just parts or a project it's still just property and my agent says yes it's covered.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerpilot View Post
    If whatever is in the trailer has a registration card/document/tag/whatever, they won't cover it. However, if it's just parts or a project it's still just property and my agent says yes it's covered.
    Consider having a tow truck company move it for you. I would be willing to bet that they are covered for the contents of whatever they are moving on their truck. Depending on how far you have to go it might also be a cheaper option than buying a separate policy from somewhere just for the move.

Keith

I just contacted EAA and got a quote for my kit project. I wanted coverage for $25,000 while I built the kit in my garage. They told me there was only one company that would offer coverage. It included liability coverage (no option to decline the liability coverage) and non-movement hull coverage for for $25,000. The quote was $2600.00 a year. Are you kidding? That's twice a much as what I pay for my home insurance. I can't believe anyone is buying this policy. Why do they even bother replying with a quote? I'm going to call the company that insures my home and see about adding it to my home policy.

Register it and get non flight hull. Way cheaper than that $2600 above. I pay about $500 on $15000. Not that cheap but better than eating 15k. I've hear about the 1% deal but couldn't find it....?