Thread: Belite as E-AB?

Belite as E-AB?

Can an Ultralight aircraft be registered as E-AB? The Belite UltraCub fits my budget now so I could be flying while saving for and building a RV-12 or similar kit. I wouldlike to build it with a larger fuel tank for a 200 mile cruise range with reserve and some additional avionics (transponder & radio). I also weigh 240 lbs. and would be pushing the weight limit for an Ultralight. I have e-mailed Belite asking if a slightly higher gross weight would be safe using the carbon wing components and am awaiting their reply. I am planning on the 1/2 VW for power. I will be flying as a new Sport Pilot. Your opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Joe Mikus, MSgt USAF (ret) Avionics Tech
    Perryville, MD
    Student Sport Pilot

A couple of points to keep in mind...

If you build it yourself, you can register it Experimental Amateur-Built if you want to, even if it would qualify as a ultralight. That subjects you to the same rules and regulations as any other "real" plane, but in return you can log the time toward your PPL.

The whole point of the Belite designs is to be able to fit under Part 103 as legal ultralights if need be. Which means, they are deliberately kept very minimalistic--not even using fabric on the rear fuselage in some models. Your 240 lbs is the max pilot weight listed for their planes--and you probably won't fly naked.

If you are referring to their "show special" $6K kit price, I'd stop first to look at exactly what's included and how much it will cost to get it flying. That's just the basic airframe kit--a good start, to be sure, but you still need to add an engine, prop, brakes, instruments, electrical (if any), paint and fabric finishing, maybe a ballistic parachute. So your $6K kit will quickly become a $12-15K project. That's still cheap as airplanes go, just want to you have the whole picture.

Cheers,

Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Thanks. Yes I was planning on 15K+, but still better than @70K for what I would like to eventually build. My thinking is I would like to have something to fly while I stretch the next build out buying the sub-assemblies as I have the funds available. Any suggestions of any other kits that are in the same price range and are quick to build by a first time builder would be appreciated.
    Last edited by JoeM; 07-31-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    Perryville, MD
    Student Sport Pilot

Well, a couple of questions first...

• Do you have any experience in or a preference for one type of construction or another?...tube, fabric, sheet metal, wood, composites, welded steel, riveted aluminum?
    • Are you specifically looking for a high wing taildragger like the Belite and, if not, what would you prefer?
    • How high does your budget go...is $15k the maximum? Would you go higher if it meant a second seat?
    • How quick is "quick to build"...tens, hundreds or thousands of hours?
    • What kind of flying do you hope to do...local fun flying, cross-country, back woods? And out of how big an airport?
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Some answers:
    -No experience, prefer riveted aluminum. I have built the Van's tool box kit.
    - No real preference on high or low wing at this point.
    - I would prefer to stay as low as possible but want to go with a new kit as opposed to picking up a project started by someone else.
    - I would like the build to be less than a year.
    - My flying would be local fun flying however my daughters live about 200 miles away and would like to be able to fly there, it is a 5+ hour drive past the DC and Baltimore areas, A flight down the east side of the Chesapeake Bay would be much nicer. I live close to both Cecil Co. and Harford Co. airports, non-towered small fields.
    Last edited by JoeM; 07-31-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    Perryville, MD
    Student Sport Pilot

Well, Joe, off the top of my head I can't think of many kits that really meet your preferences. The riveted tube or sheet metal designs that come to mind are either even slower than the Belite--Quicksilver, Airdrome Aeroplanes replicas, etc.--or much more expensive--Sonex Onex, Morgan Aeroworks Diamond, Rans S-9, etc.--or take a lot longer to build--BK1, Hummel H5, etc.--or some combination of the above. BTW, I have only recently discovered the Morgan Aeroworks kits from Australia--some of which are riveted square tube construction nicely faired over with fabric.

Honestly, for the mission you describe, I'd take a look at some of the wood-and-fabric, two-stroke or VW-powered designs that are still around. TEAM MiniMax and Fisher Flying Products each offer several models that could perform your mission and within your budget. Construction is just like a big model airplane.

Hope that helps, i am sure others will think of ones I have missed.

Cheers,

Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Thanks Matthew for the feedback. I was hoping there were others out there with an opinion of registering the Belite as E-AB.
    Perryville, MD
    Student Sport Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    I was hoping there were others out there with an opinion of registering the Belite as E-AB.
    I don't see any problem as long as you comply with the "major portion" fabrication and assembly requirements.

Don't forget to budget for the extra time and expense of a DAR inspection.