Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best ultralight to accumulate flight hours for under3K

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    No, I'm not saying that at all. Since everyone can't live in Candy Land, my suggestion was to explore other "tried and true" methods of low(er) cost flying.

10 people can buy a C-150 for $20k. That would be $2k each for the buy in (partly recovered when you sell the share), which fits the OP's budget (with money left over). Maybe $150 a month to cover the fixed costs, $50/hr for flying. Then one can fly as safety pilot for someone under the hood and both can log flying time. That's about the lowest cost loggable time I know of because it's FREE! Everyone can pitch in labor on maintenance and inspections, washing and vacuuming. Have the social aspect, which encourages more flying. It's all good.

Individual ownership is usually NOT the lowest cost method of flying/building time.
    If someone is spending less than $1000 annually on their flying budget, they are not flying very much, no matter where they live.

I would join this club myself.

Sorry if you believe Illinois is candy land. I guess if you are a politician it could be.

Wait am I on the EAA forum?.....Oh yes I am...EAA started out as..slow and low..what happened we all must go fast and high.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 08-01-2013 at 09:34 AM.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I spend $5K annually if I never turn a prop between hangar and insurance.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I would join this club myself.
    I did.

Sorry if you believe Illinois is candy land.
    No specific state or city. There are few places where a hangar can be rented inexpensively. I used to live in one of those places. Now I don't. The Candy Land metaphor was that we can't all live at the airport where hangars are $50/month, nor is it always practical to pack up and move there.

EAA started out as..slow and low..what happened we all must go fast and high.
    A Cessna 150 doesn't go high or fast by any stretch. It's grass roots flying. If a group is interested in a low and slow/homebuilt airplane partenership, that can be done as well. There was a certain Fly Baby flying club or Story Special flying club that both operated since the Wright Bros. days. Can still be done today.

Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    I spend $5K annually if I never turn a prop between hangar and insurance.
    But the hourly rate decreases for each hour you fly......

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    But the hourly rate decreases for each hour you fly......
    But the total cost just goes higher...
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Hello, I am almost done training to become a private pilot and am looking for a way to build the flight hours needed for higher ratings when I am done. I could never afford to rent a plane for hundreds of hours, but my instructor informed me that hours logged in ultralights can be counted towards those ratings, although he doesn't know a lot about ultralights himself. So I am basically looking for the best ultralight that I can build or buy within my admittedly very small budget. I would like to be able to say that I built it myself, but I don't have the experience to build something too complicated from scratch. I live in South Jersey so it needs to comply with FAR 103 so I can take off and land from the farm next door, unless someone knows of a way I would be allowed to do that with a two seater. It needs to have folding wings so that it can be easily stored and transported, and it would also be nice if I could get something that goes close to the maximum 55 knots so that I could log some cross country time without staying overnight... I know this is a really tall order, I am trying to do a lot with very little money or experience. But I know that if there is anyone that knows how this could be possible, they are probably lurking around here somewhere. Any advice or experience will be greatly appreciated.
    Lawrence, welcome to the EAA. I've read your post/question and have some advice you might find enlightening. First, read the regs. As a private pilot you are responsible for knowing them. If you're close to your check ride you should know them/how to access them. NEVER use advice or "gut feelings" etc. from others about the regs-especially if they admit not being familiar. As to your original question. No, you can't log hours in non certificated aircraft; i.e. ultralights. However, your $3000 will go a lot further than some on the forum might lead you to believe towards an airplane. Check out Barnstormers.com, you'll find many airplanes (not ultralights-they're not airplanes) for under $10000. I have bought several planes in the last few years and never paid more than $9000. My current flyer was $7500 as was the plane I had before that. By the way, it's for sale again on Barnstormers. Both are great airplanes and, they're two place to boot! My wife has two strict rules for me to follow when considering an airplane. They are as follows: The plane must be 2 place. It must be complete or very nearly so/It must fly (hence the complete thing). I find airplanes that fit these rules all the time. My last Taylorcraft was $6000 and yes, I flew it home. I wish I hadn't sold it to a guy in Australia. To summarize; save up a few more bucks, stick to real airplanes (certificated) and, buy a two place (you'll need it). Don't rule out airplanes with car engine conversions or taildraggers either. As for the $3000 a year upkeep...eh, maybe. I don't spend nearly that much. Find a buddy to rent hangar space from, smooze the local AI for condition inspections and, do all the work on your plane you can. There's lots of help here so just ask! Good luck.

Pacerpilot: This is what I was trying to say. But I do not agree with you on the certified part. If you are flying an Auto conversion such as what I fly why does the airplane have to be certified? You can log hrs in a EAB with an auto conversion and not have nearly the cost on your yearly inspections. An Annual inspection cost a lot more then a Condition Inspection. If one wants to fly for cheap just to fly an EAB is the cheapest way to go, and they do come in two place if that is your flavor.

Marty you are right a 150 does not go fast or high, but it sure does fly circles around my EAB. Does not come much slower then this.
    You say not everyone can move, that is your decision. Do not knock me because you believe the grass is greener over here on my side of the fence. You know not what you talk about. All the education in the world will not help you here.

You know not what you talk about. All the education in the world will not help you here.
    Perhaps. But when I needed to build time for more ratings (the OP's only objective), I figured out a way to do it without moving and without buying a plane. I've also observed enough aviation over the past 45 yrs to know what works, what doesn't, what's realistic, and what isn't.

Pacerpilot: This is what I was trying to say. But I do not agree with you on the certified part. If you are flying an Auto conversion such as what I fly why does the airplane have to be certified? You can log hrs in a EAB with an auto conversion and not have nearly the cost on your yearly inspections. An Annual inspection cost a lot more then a Condition Inspection. If one wants to fly for cheap just to fly an EAB is the cheapest way to go, and they do come in two place if that is your flavor.
    Not "certified" as in factory planes- "certificated" as in any airplane that has an airworthiness cert. Big difference. Our EAB's have Airworthiness certs, ultralights don't, that's all I was referring to. But you're right about the experimental aspect. I was trying to convey that to Lawrence-especially the two place part. It's just too dang hard to get dual instruction in a single place!