Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best ultralight to accumulate flight hours for under3K

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Sorry, but I do not believe in such magic. A new E-AB Kolb just out of Phase 1, with a 582, goes for $13k at best, more like $16k. You may know a builder personally who would let you on a deal like that, but this is much below market price.

I can imagine a well-beaten MX for that price. Or, actually, almost anything that's well-beaten. There's also an ad for a Minimax at Barnstormers right now. But I highly doubt it's airworthy. And nothing in that range is going to have a 1/2 WV, except a Legal Eagle, maybe.
    Check this out..I sold this....I purchased it for 4000 bucks. The first video is in stock forum. The second is my modified form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGMa-4kxBko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBGro7gJfy8

I purchased this for 4500 bucks in flying condition like the other airplane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl6Afk9iuQ

I know where there is a brand new just built Rag wing with a 1/2 vw for under 4000. But I bet you would not believe that either, and its one nice airplane.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 07-31-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    But if i were to buy and fix up one of these FAR 103 ultralights I see here on Barnstormers, and then get it regestered as an experimental aircraft
    Lawrence, there's no practical way to buy an FAR 103 ultralight vehicle and register it as an experimental aircraft. Also, there's not a lot of flying airplanes for sale for $3k. Even if there was, you still need another $3k every yr to own and fly it.

I feel your pain. Flying is expensive but there are some practical ways to fly relatively inexpensively. Become a fractional owner. Offer to be a safety pilot so you can log the time when the other pilot is under the hood, etc. It will come together.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Lawrence, there's no practical way to buy an FAR 103 ultralight vehicle and register it as an experimental aircraft. Also, there's not a lot of flying airplanes for sale for $3k. Even if there was, you still need another $3k every yr to own and fly it.

I feel your pain. Flying is expensive but there are some practical ways to fly relatively inexpensively. Become a fractional owner. Offer to be a safety pilot so you can log the time when the other pilot is under the hood, etc. It will come together.
    Marty with all do respect I do not see where you get your numbers. The last video I posted is of the airplane I fly today. She cost me under 5 grand, I have owned her going on three years and in that 3 years I have not stuck 3 grand in her. Cheapest flying around, not going anywhere but you are in the air. But you are not going anywhere in an Ultralight either.
    If it cost 3 grand a year to fly my airplane I would not be flying. That is just to rich for my blood, my pockets are not that deep.

This airplane is for sale...3500 bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Don't forget, there is a lot of Class B airspace in and around New Jersey. A lot of airspace around there under the mode c veils.

To clarify some of the back and forth, you cannot buy a factory-made ultralight and then register as an experimental, amateur built plane with an N-number. However you can build your own ultralight from a kit and then apply to N-number it as an experimental, amateur built plane. The fact that it could also be considered an ultralight has no bearing--that does not prevent you from declaring it to the FAA as an airplane, it just allows you to fly it legally without doing so. In theory, if you bought an amateur-built ultralight second-hand, and could document the amateur build, then you might also be able to N-number that, but that would be a tougher sell to the FAA, I think. And once it's registered with an N-number, it's an airplane, not an ultralight, so it can't go back and you need a license to fly it. At least, that's my understanding of the whole question.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Marty with all do respect I do not see where you get your numbers.
    If it cost 3 grand a year to fly my airplane I would not be flying.
    I'll get out my crayon and we can work out the annual cost. I think you'll be thankful you don't live in N.J. when it's over. Just finding a place to park the plane when it's not flying will likely exceed $3k/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I'll get out my crayon and we can work out the annual cost. I think you'll be thankful you don't live in N.J. when it's over. Just finding a place to park the plane when it's not flying will likely exceed $3k/yr.
    Here in the midwest we have it nice I guess. Hangar rent for under 100 bucks a month, heck I pay under 50 bucks month. One reason I stay here now. I could move and would like to move but try and find a hangar for this price is hard.

As for Condition Inspections we here at 3is5 are getting ready to offer these for 250 bucks. The owner will be hands on in this, we even offer housing for a small fee while this is being done. We also will be doing Annual Inspections at a very reasonable price again with the owner having the option of being hands on and working beside the A&P. This will be coming later after we start the Condition Inspections for EAB.

We are also gearing up for Sport Pilot Training program. It's still in the early stages. Doing all this in the name of helping another aviator in keeping the cost down so one can afford to fly.

Kinda what the topic is about, how to get in the air and stay in the air for a low cost. If we all work together like the aviators of yesteryear we will all be ahead in the end. We need to get back to the grassroots of aviation.

Remember maintaining a EAB is a lot cheaper then a certified airplane. A lot cheaper, but if you register an ultralight as an AB now you must do yearly Condition Inspections and the cost of owning the ultralight went up yearly not to mention you lost the freedom that Far 103 offers you. I just don't see why one would do it when a EAB can be had for the same amount. If you are already Certified as a SP or PP why not fly a EAB to keep cost low. Even the Ultralight needs a hangar. Some hangar in a trailer but look at the rash they get from that and then you are always putting together and taking apart.

Just my 2 cents.

So I guess if you want an airplane around the 3 grand range and keep the cost low yearly, like under 1000 bucks you need to move is what Marty is saying. But in a nicer way. Sometimes I am blunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    So I guess if you want an airplane around the 3 grand range and keep the cost low yearly, like under 1000 bucks you need to move is what Marty is saying. But in a nicer way. Sometimes I am blunt.
    No, I'm not saying that at all. Since everyone can't live in Candy Land, my suggestion was to explore other "tried and true" methods of low(er) cost flying.

10 people can buy a C-150 for $20k. That would be $2k each for the buy in (partly recovered when you sell the share), which fits the OP's budget (with money left over). Maybe $150 a month to cover the fixed costs, $50/hr for flying. Then one can fly as safety pilot for someone under the hood and both can log flying time. That's about the lowest cost loggable time I know of because it's FREE! Everyone can pitch in labor on maintenance and inspections, washing and vacuuming. Have the social aspect, which encourages more flying. It's all good.

Individual ownership is usually NOT the lowest cost method of flying/building time.
    If someone is spending less than $1000 annually on their flying budget, they are not flying very much, no matter where they live.