Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disappointing Oshkosh 2013

I was also looking forward to seeing the Gannet in the air and getting some photos of this unique bird. Ugly as it may be.

Today is my last day here and I am hoping Veteran's Day give us something special (as it has in the past)

What many fail to appreciate when criticizing Oshkosh/Airventure is that this event is entirely made possible by volunteers and an organization seeking to provide something for every taste in aviation. They have no control over military presence and the political shenanigans. However on Tuesday evening from home built camping I witnessed one of the most spectacular displays of military warbirds I've seen in my 63 years. It continued for over 30 minutes and that alone surpassed the lack of current military hardware. I fly my plane in for the first time and both arrival, parking and departure were flawless. The campground was entertainment in itself that I thoroughly enjoyed with my son and grandson. There was always a volunteer on hand if needed. Given the size of this event I think the quality of the entertainment, food, facilities and displays is amazing. I suspect those who are disappointed would be so regardless of the event. Personally, I salute EAA staff and volunteers and thank them for an Airventure I'll always remember.

Very well said, Mikeno! The vintage military presence alone makes it worth the trip! Also if you get a chance to welcome the Honor Flight home...the expressions on the veterans' faces when they see the crowd...well...bring some tissues!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Woodford View Post
    This afternoon's airshow was very poor. There are only so many aerobatic performances you can watch before they all begin to look the same.
    That's what we thought until listening in on the air frequencies via a handheld. Was really neat to hear the pilots during the performances. We also watched the airshows from under our wing in the North 40 every day where the beer was cold! That might have helped!
    Brock
    C172H | Central IL
    EAA #1001980

I thought it would have been a fun idea to invite the Forces Canada to Oshkosh this year. CF-18's, the Snowbirds, CC-177, all of that stuff. Or maybe that F-100 that is making the airshow circuit. That being said, I didn't miss them, and still had a blast.