Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing Oshkosh 2013

Disappointing Oshkosh 2013

Well, after travelling from Australia for this year's Airventure, I am quite disappointed.

The lack of military presence here is very telling. This afternoon's airshow was very poor. There are only so many aerobatic performances you can watch before they all begin to look the same. The B25, P51 and Sea Harrier were by far the highlights, and were obviously strategically scheduled to keep the crowd around until the very end.

I don't for a minute blame Airventure organisers for this. I understand the budget sequestration has played its part in grounding the military and keeping them from attending events like this. But it is still disappointing nonetheless.

On the other hand, the people are as friendly as ever, and the variety of food stands is much better than previous years.

I am here for the whole week, but won't be hanging around for another airshow. Maybe I'll poke around the fleamarket in the afternoons!

Scott,

How about signing up for some volunteering? Incredibly rewarding, & fun. As the saying goes, "we come for the planes, and stay for the people". One way to fill some of the afternoons?
    Last edited by Janet Davidson; 07-30-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Hi, Scott; Sorry to hear of your disappointment. I haven't watched the airshow in years, so I'm saying more than I know, but to my recollection, the military was never really that big a part in the "airshow" part of the day. Yeah, an F-18 or F-16 would do a few low and hot passes, but that was normaly during the pre-airshow times of the day. The military was more of static displays like the C-17, C-5, C-130, B-1, etc. Fun stuff to look at, but not really integral to the afternoon shows.

LIke Janet said, volunteer. I've met a lot of great folks over the years by participating. And there's enough to see that you still won't see it all, even if you do miss the show.

So far, I'm thinking this is one of the better shows! But to each his/her own....

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I do some show watching, but it's not top on my list at Airventure. I will say I missed the military aluminum, and noise. The Harrier seemed like it was overdue by the time it started to fly. The crowd was in need of speed & noise. Let the Gov't do what's it's gonna do, play games if they want. How hard(or expensive) would it be to fly an F-16 in from Madison?

There was a great article by I think Thomas Sowell a while back about Gov't budgeting/expenses. It was basically outlining how essentials are cut so people become willing to capitulate & go back to the normal excess. Just referencing, not calling military displays essential. I'd like to put off the USA joining Detroit as long as possible.

Maybe I am different, but I am enjoying EAA this year, and one of the reasons is not having my hearing attacked by military jets. You can relax, talk to people, and even think without having to wear ear plugs and having kids crying from the noise.
    The pleasant cool weather is fine by me. One jet I do want to see is this "jetman" guy. That might be the highest thrill with the lowest margin for safety of anything flying.

But then I enjoy EAA every year.

There has never been a big military presence in the actual airshow itself. I would like to see the Raptor come back, though, that's an outstanding airplane. The Harrier is always cool, too, and I can't wait to see the WWII bombers fly.

Also outstanding: someone in the ultralight area appears to have attached a car body to a paraplane and was flying around yesterday evening. Gotta go check that out!

I would like to find whatever vendor or activity is giving out whistles on lanyards to children and shut that down, though.

Thankyou to those who suggested volunteering. I am here with 3 mates, and we did see a sign asking for volunteers down near the Red Barn yesterday, and we have been discussing doing exactly that.

I also had a chat with one of the staff over at the Pioneer Airport when I was taking my Bell 47 ride and he agrees the lack of military has hurt them this year in terms of business.

I was spoiled as my first Airventure was 2011 being the centenary of US naval aviation. That was an awesome show to attend. Whilst I agree that military involvement in the afternoon airshow isn't a big thing, what we did have in 2011 was a constant stream of military movements. This year, the odd warbird will land but they are few and far between.

The static displays are always a great attraction and the warbirds here are, as always, phenomonal. But again, the lack of current military hardware is conspicuous.

Again, I labour the point that I understand all of this is beyond the control of EAA and I am not seeking to blame anyone associated with the event as I think it is awesome to be here and be a part of. Something else also detracting from my previous experience is that there is no post office nor laundry service available this year.

In summary, I will be back but I will be making sure that it coincides with a significant military anniversary to give myself the best chance of seeing something other than RV's and ultralights! ;-)

If you went to Oshkosh expecting a big military airshow beyond some WWII flybys, then you came for the wrong event.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

I'm highly dissappointed, too...
    Dissappointed that I didn't make it there, this year, that is.
    Military or no, there's always something interesting to see or do, whether in they sky, or ground bound.
    Hopefully next year will be in the cards.
    You guys are so lucky, with the awesome weather there this year.
    That's my usual summertime migration excuse, to get a little break in the hot and humid weather where I'm at, currently.
    I usuallt tent camp, and the last few times I went, it wound up being hot, or stormy.
    All part of the experience, but those nice, cool temps are surely appreciated!

I was there from Sunday morning until a few hours ago. To be honest, I never even noticed a lack of military airplanes... there is so much to see and do, it didn't matter to me. (And I am a former USAF pilot.) We all enjoy different things at OSH, and for me it is always the vendors and all the new aviation related products. Plus the camping in the North 40 and making new friends and seeing old friends. The weather was fantastic.