Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Not Recycle ?

Why Not Recycle ?

During the week EAA must accumulate thousands, maybe a hundred thou, of plastic drink bottles with sales of Pepsi, water, etc. Why not recycle them? Is that something that is not done in Wisconsin? It sure is in Colorado and seems wasteful not to do it here. I didn't see any containers for recycling anywhere and when I asked at the food vendor the lady told me that other people had also asked, but that they were told not to recycle. I did find something at one food vendor that amazed me. I grew up and lived in Texas for 25 years, so one thing I know about is Bar B Q, but when I got the "brisket sandwich" there was also something called "white bar-b-q sauce". I have seen and eaten a lot of Bar-B-Q, and sauce in Texas and even Colorado, but never heard of any sauce that was white, certainly never saw any. So I asked the girl at the counter who had no idea so she asked the chef. Turns out the sauce is mayonaise with garlic in it,probably as bad as it sounds.

As a native Yankee who's spent the last 31 years in Texas, all I can say is eeeeewwwwwwwww....

Almost as bad as brown gravy on yer chicken fried steak.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I guess some easy stuff, like aluminum & maybe glass, may work. Most of the other stuff doesn't seem viable without some amount of Gov't subsidies, just not worth it. I do know many 'green initiatives' are there to make people feel better, whether it helps any or not. A good amount of our 'recyclables' ends up in the trash anyway.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    During the week EAA must accumulate thousands, maybe a hundred thou, of plastic drink bottles with sales of Pepsi, water, etc. Why not recycle them? Is that something that is not done in Wisconsin? It sure is in Colorado and seems wasteful not to do it here. I didn't see any containers for recycling anywhere and when I asked at the food vendor the lady told me that other people had also asked, but that they were told not to recycle.
    We use what they call "single stream" recycling - all the trash from the Dumpsters, plastic bins, etc., is taken to a facility in Appleton and sorted from there. I was surprised that this was even possible, but apparently people who know way more about garbage than I do have got it down to a science.

As for white barbecue sauce, I can honestly say I've never heard of such of thing...But now I'm kinda curious.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hal the mayonaise with garlic, so called "white bar-b-q sauce was at Aces Cafe, I think it is something like Sodexco? As for recylcing, well in Colorado they have to pesort the trash, especially bottles and cans, and paper. If they get too much other stuff like food in it that is a no go.
    I can't imagine having to sort the plastic bottles out of all that mess. What inducment could possibly get people to do that job, or what threat? I'll bet they get inmates from the local jail and give em the choice to sort the garbage or else have to eat "white bar-b-q sauce".
    By the way, the good burger that I had was at north 40 cafe.

I've never heard of single-stream recycling including trash, though. I'm also wondering if there is anywhere to get soda in a cup, with ice. I much prefer that to soda straight from the bottle, plus, on hot days, the bottled soda warms up faster.

The funnel cake at the A and W booth was a pleasant surprise!

Okay, this is how much this is bugging me. I am currently at the main welcome center writing this instead of walking the grounds. The "recycling" bins are exactly the same size, shape, and color as the trash bins. The ONLY difference is that there is a sign on the LID ONLY saying "single stream recycling" and listing what can be included. NO signs on the sides of the bins. Trash is NOT included in that listing. And the "recycling" bins are FULL of trash, so I think the 2013 recycling effort is going to be a failure, which is especially sad since those of us who want soda apparently can ONLY get it in plastic bottles, and not in cups. The recycling bins need to be a different color from the trash bins and CLEARLY identified. A sign on the lid only is not enough! EAA usually does SUCH a good job in keeping the grounds clean, but unless I'm missing something obvious, this year's recycling effort is going to be a huge bust. Hundreds of thousands of plastic bottles going into a landfill instead of being recycled.

You're there as a garbage collection inspector, or an airshow spectator?
    Turn around, and look up... The show is in progress! LOL
    Just yanking your chain.
    Wish I was there to watch too...

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Here's more background on the recycling program:

http://www.airventure.org/news/2012/...plemented.html

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Here at my hometown in IL. we have been doing the single stream recycle for years, works just fine in my estimation. L
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!