Thread: Airshow Lineup

Airshow Lineup

Anyone know why Kyle Franklin and Dracula aren't on any schedule?
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 07-25-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Posts moved to keep original thread on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeno View Post
    Anyone know why Kyle Franklin and Dracula aren't on any schedule?
    https://www.facebook.com/kyle.frankl...05803139493694

Unfortunately, I've gotten the official word that Dracula and I will "not" be flying at the 2013 Air Venture at Oshkosh. I had been under the impression that we would be there this year, that’s why it’s been on my schedule. I do not know the reason for this decision other than just, no. I figured this airplane and act would be perfect to showcase what EAA is all about. This news comes as a huge blow and disappointment to me, in a struggling airshow year. I’m still hoping they may reconsider their decision.

However, I personally will still be at Oshkosh all week to talk with my loyal fans, sign autographs and support my amazing Sponsors. Please stop by and see me at the CamGuard/Aircraft Specialties Services booth, Univair, Cleveland wheels and brakes, CJ Aviation, Lincoln Electric and many others. I will be giving out signed posters, lithographs, glow-in-the-dark vampire teeth for the kids and am more than happy to take pictures and/or sign anything else you may have. I should have a schedule of when and where I will be that week, here soon. Thank you for all your continued support and see you at Oshkosh.

Kyle

If EAA has decided unilaterally not to invite Kyle & Dracula, they owe the members an explanation. To not do so makes it appear that senior leadership has lost sight of who pays their salaries. We may or may not agree but we have a right to know the basis for such a decision.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    We're looking forward to seeing Kyle and Dracula on the field here this year, and we're anticipating watching him fly in next year's air show.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

There was a lot of discussion about this on Facebook and other forums a month ago - this was Kyle's follow-up Facebook post:

"Thank you all for your comments and support for me flying Oshkosh. It means a lot. EAA takes a great deal of time and effort into deciding who gets invited to fly Oshkosh each year. I can imagine this has been a difficult year for EAA as well, between the sequestration and having to deal with the FAA's new user fees. I will be attending Oshkosh this year to support EAA, my Sponsors, and most of all my Fans. Looking forward to seeing you all in a month.

Kyle"

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Still sounds like a very polite way of Kyle saying that EAA didn't want him to perform for some reason, but they parted on reasonable terms to keep the door open for next year. But still does not explain why he isn't on the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    Still sounds like a very polite way of Kyle saying that EAA didn't want him to perform for some reason, but they parted on reasonable terms to keep the door open for next year. But still does not explain why he isn't on the schedule.
    No, it does not.

EAA's VP of AirVenture Features and Attractions Jim DiMateo formed a committee comprised of EAA staff, volunteers, and seasoned air show performers, and they met at ICAS in December of 2012 to decide the air show lineup. As you can see it's a mix of returning favorites as well as some new performers. The decisions were finalized and communicated at that time. Any discussion of why any particular performer was or was not included isn't appropriate for a public forum. With respect to Kyle specifically, as you've seen by the earlier posts, we've been in regular contact with him, straightened out any misunderstandings, and, as we've said, we're looking forward to seeing him and his new airplane here in a few days, and hope to see him in the airshow lineup in 2014.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeno View Post
    No, it does not.
    Oh ya Mikeno, it surely does!

I'll go further and say it's a very well crafted public response by an EAA communications flack-deflecting speak doctor(who has told Hal how to respond).

When a reason is not provided to the recepient(Kyle) as well as the membership, there's a purpose for it--a purpose they prefer not to reveal. The less than honest word doctor response is crafted to be non-offensive to all parties involved. Something happened, we're not telling you but we'll consider the issue next time around. Kyle's not personally hurt but he's frustrated that he's not been given a valid reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Oh ya Mikeno, it surely does!

I'll go further and say it's a very well crafted public response by an EAA communications flack-deflecting speak doctor(who has told Hal how to respond).

When a reason is not provided to the recepient(Kyle) as well as the membership, there's a purpose for it--a purpose they prefer not to reveal. The less than honest word doctor response is crafted to be non-offensive to all parties involved. Something happened, we're not telling you but we'll consider the issue next time around. Kyle's not personally hurt but he's frustrated that he's not been given a valid reason.
    There isn't one word in any of my posts that is "less than honest", I can promise you that.

Anyone who wants to continue this discussion can email feedback@eaa.org. It's not continuing here.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor