Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Old engines, future?

And I agree completely! Trouble I have is so many of the younger A&P guys don't understand about the antiques. All the old guys are retired and are burned out. I'm searching now for someone to rebuild certified engine that understands these are worth saving at a reasonable price. W

What engine?? I'm old but not totally retired

Quote Originally Posted by oowiee View Post
    And I agree completely! Trouble I have is so many of the younger A&P guys don't understand about the antiques. All the old guys are retired and are burned out. I'm searching now for someone to rebuild certified engine that understands these are worth saving at a reasonable price. W
    Here we go again, old folks generalizing about the youth!! First off there aren't many young A&P's because the industry doesn't make it worth joining, but that's another subject. :-)

Secondly, they are antiques for a reason and it's not something people come by on a regular basis. How can you learn about them having never been around them. I don't think you would have a hard time finding an A&P to go down a path with you. Is that what you are thinking of? Starting an engine shop focusing on antique engines?

And what's a "reasonable cost" because anything IO is $20-30k to have a shop rebuild, considering the amount of machining equipment you would need to build the one off parts, and the FAA approval to sell those parts (don't know how hard that is to get, or how expensive).

In A&P school and I had an oppurtunity to rebuild a radial engine....it's a PAIN IN THE ASS, much harder then anything Opposed. It was cool, and it was an extra curricular thing that a couple off us students did on our own time. Granted, we didn't have all the tools we probably would have made it easier, we had to adapt and overcome....

where are you located?

My statement was kinda tongue in cheek. There just seems not to be guys here willing to work on antiques. I'm in Ar. and it's been a long time since I've messed with aircraft etc. so you can imagine my surprise with todays prices. I had a C-100 rebuilt in the late 60's for $500. lol

Quote Originally Posted by uavmx View Post
    Here we go again, old folks generalizing about the youth!! First off there aren't many young A&P's because the industry doesn't make it worth joining, but that's another subject. :-)

Secondly, they are antiques for a reason and it's not something people come by on a regular basis. How can you learn about them having never been around them. I don't think you would have a hard time finding an A&P to go down a path with you. Is that what you are thinking of? Starting an engine shop focusing on antique engines?

And what's a "reasonable cost" because anything IO is $20-30k to have a shop rebuild, considering the amount of machining equipment you would need to build the one off parts, and the FAA approval to sell those parts (don't know how hard that is to get, or how expensive).

In A&P school and I had an oppurtunity to rebuild a radial engine....it's a PAIN IN THE ASS, much harder then anything Opposed. It was cool, and it was an extra curricular thing that a couple off us students did on our own time. Granted, we didn't have all the tools we probably would have made it easier, we had to adapt and overcome....

where are you located?
    I have none of the equipment to do any machining that is required to be done yet I do complete overhauls, But I can ship to many shops that do..

Quote Originally Posted by oowiee View Post
    My statement was kinda tongue in cheek. There just seems not to be guys here willing to work on antiques. I'm in Ar. and it's been a long time since I've messed with aircraft etc. so you can imagine my surprise with todays prices. I had a C-100 rebuilt in the late 60's for $500. lol
    The last overhaul on my Warner 165 was $785.00 this time I have less than $600 total in parts. dissemble, inspect, clean, and reassemble with a new oil feed bushing, two new mag drive gear bushings, two new mag drive gears, new gaskets, 12 new master rod bushings, 6 new articulating rod pins, and 1 new master rod insert bearing lapped to size.

The kids in this industry know more about computers, cnc machining, and reverse engineering that most geezers ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    The kids in this industry know more about computers, cnc machining, and reverse engineering that most geezers ever will.
    Perhaps, however they know less and less about engine design and mechanical engineering in general, as that is a dying art and vital knowledge to even be able to reverse engineer an existing part. Bottom line is that any engine part can be designed and made under the direction of someone with intimate knowledge metalurgy, the engine and its workings....on an engineering level.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Perhaps, however they know less and less about engine design and mechanical engineering in general, as that is a dying art and vital knowledge to even be able to reverse engineer an existing part. Bottom line is that any engine part can be designed and made under the direction of someone with intimate knowledge metalurgy, the engine and its workings....on an engineering level.
    It's simply a matter of education, they will learn what they need to know, and the data is available to them more readily than any time before, and the research is easier than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    It's simply a matter of education, they will learn what they need to know, and the data is available to them more readily than any time before, and the research is easier than ever.
    Tom,
    I hope you dont mean using the internet when you say "research" Honestly about 1% of what is known in the field of engine design is published "online".