Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old engines, future?

Old engines, future?

So I would love to have a Waco RNF. Warner engine. Fewer and fewer parts, fewer and fewer places willing to overhaul. The Wrights are getting close to the same place and a host of other engines, are worse off. What's going to happen in the future. Will these airplanes only fly with a machinist standing by? Internal parts can (maybe) be made by automotive shops. Crankshafts? Cylinders? Mags?

What is the future for these jewels of the past?

Ernie

Boat anchors?
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Here's a website that can give you some hope:http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/proje...-build-history If it's possible to build a WW1 rotary from scratch, I think pretty much anything is technically possible. The cost is another matter. Plentiful, cheap supplies of military spares will be a thing of the past.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    That same concern is what has kept me out of a Monocoupe. I want one with a radial, not a horizontally opposed.

I'm learning to be creative and have a good, patient, understanding A&P/IA to work with.

I have a Lycoming )-145-B2 in my Chief, and some parts are rare. There are several engines sitting in hangars which may yield some parts. Some can be manufactured -- there's still adequate technical data.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Dan McCormack
    Smoketown, PA (S37)
    N24286, 1940 Aeronca Chief 65-LA (Lycoming O-145-B2)
    CFI
    http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/

I had no problems getting all the parts I needed to overhaul my Warner 165

Hey Tom, how ya doing

I recently tuned up a Continental from 1952, had to hunt for parts...

(T'was in an Oliver tractor)

I need a sleeve for another... That's harder to find

Piston engines can always be overhauled, and parts manufactured for them. However dont expect there to be a catalog of parts, its going to be up to the overhaul shop ( or individual ) to do the "engineering" on replacement parts. At least the FAA is now able to release the drawings for older engines I am told.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Piston engines can always be overhauled, and parts manufactured for them. However dont expect there to be a catalog of parts, its going to be up to the overhaul shop ( or individual ) to do the "engineering" on replacement parts. At least the FAA is now able to release the drawings for older engines I am told.
    Would you mind giving the reference for those drawings, what data base are they in? I have never heard of the FAA keeping any drawings for engines.

I believe its something you have to request from them. Yes the FAA does have the drawings, engines, aircraft, everything that was certified, I have heard some have been destroyed over the years, but that the collection is pretty through. I have actually had good luck getting old drawings right from the manufacturers.