Thread: Old engines, future?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    I know of a shop in San Antonio that metalizes cranks for about anything. He has done a great deal of work in various racing applications and has had no problem. I know he has also metalized some Franklin cranks for folks, but there is no paperwork on the cranks. He has also straightened some bent crank flanges for experimental applications and they have run to TBO without issue.

The ability is there.....gaining approval, that is a whole new ballgame.

He once had a FSDO Inspector show up at his shop demanding a bunch of stuff and to inspect the shop. Since he is not a pilot nor A&P and his business has nothing to do with aviation, he told them to go pound sand. When she protested he was working on airplane engine components, he told here, "I work on crankshafts. I don't know what they go to. A customer brings me a crank and specs. I build/rebuild it to the spec and give it back. I don't know and I don't care what it comes from." They never came back. Of course, if you have any aircraft part which goes through there, I'm sure the FAA would condemn them. I know some experimental folks have used him extensively and his results have been outstanding.
    Very good point Jim, If you as an owner of an old aircraft engine to be used on a EXP aircraft, what restrictions does the overhauler need to adhere to? Are we required to comply with FAR 42.3?

Every one must remember, every new process has been approved thru the exp program. When we ask the FAA for approval of a major modification most often, that will get you an EXP airworthiness certificate for testing time. The data that was approved during this process is intellectual property of the developer, and can be used on any aircraft that it applies to. This engineering data is not an STC, it is simply engineering data that you can use to request a field approval on any aircraft/engine/prop.
    Last edited by Tom Downey; 11-22-2011 at 11:10 AM.