Thread: Large Twin Parking In North 40

Large Twin Parking In North 40

Does anyone know if it is allowed and/or appropriate/advisable to park and camp with Twins as large as a 414/421 in the North 40? I know I have seen past posts about parking at the FBO and camping in Scholler if flying in a larger plane but I would definitely prefer to camp with the planes in the North 40. I searched around just now looking for information about this but could not find any posts referencing larger aircraft parking. I have parked and camped in the North 40 before but do not remember if there were any larger twins parked there.

Over the years I've seen twins parked in the North 40 and at the "South 40", aka "north Fond du lac". Two years ago when I was in the "South 40", there was a 320 Skyknight from Canada at the end of the row I was in. About 8 or 9 years ago a couple rows west of me in the North 40, there were a pair of 414s parked tail to tail. They typically try to park them on the ends, because their wingspans are about 12' more than most singles.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Thanks, Cary. Anyone else have any experiences or insight? I am seeking input on some other forums as well and will post anything I find out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat_1990 View Post
    Does anyone know if it is allowed and/or appropriate/advisable to park and camp with Twins as large as a 414/421 in the North 40? I know I have seen past posts about parking at the FBO and camping in Scholler if flying in a larger plane but I would definitely prefer to camp with the planes in the North 40. I searched around just now looking for information about this but could not find any posts referencing larger aircraft parking. I have parked and camped in the North 40 before but do not remember if there were any larger twins parked there.
    Last year we saw a guy park a King Air in the North 40. Out piled a bunch of kids and camping gear. If I remember correctly they do park the twins on higher ground. This is so the ground is firmer. I do not recall any of the Barons in the B2Osh group having any trouble. Hope that helps.

We have parked a 414 in the North 40 for years, without problems. I might suggest parking on some plywood scraps, the only issue is that after a week, the tires are sunk in a little and you might blast the guy behind you as you leave.

everyone needs boards !!
    about 17 years ago we parked my bonanza in the north 40 ( it was in a low spot) rained several inches during the week.
    Wheels sunk down around 6 inches. Took us 1/2 a day to dig out using spoons from our camping gear--have had boards ever since.
    Kevin

I've carried a pair of boards for years--not really necessary for the nose gear on mine (63 Cessna P172D) but I would think a heavier single and certainly a twin should have boards for all gear. It makes it SOOOOOO much easier to move at the end of a week, especially if (when?) there's a storm during the week.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Thank you all so much for your input. We are going to do the North 40 in our 421 and camp the entire week Sunday through Sunday. Everyone keep a look out for a white with red stripes 421C with Winglets and stop by for a refreshing beverage and some plane talk. Also, if anyone is going to be there with an 11-15 year old (or so) boy that likes soccer (or almost any other sport for that matter) and planes, PM me and we will try to hook up so my son has someone else to chat with other than me.