Thread: Hydration?

Hydration?

One of the biggest problems I ran into last year was hydration. The fountains are sparse, a water bottle - even a large one - can only hold so much, cold water doesn't stay cold long (and quickly get HOT), bottles from vendors were $3 ($2 this year, so that's an improvement). How do you keep yourself hydrated while on the grounds all day long without having to purchase water or even ending up with a bottle of hot water?

This year I will be driving in (and arriving well before opening time to get good parking), so I'm thinking I can do a few things differently: keep a COLD water jug in my car to return to halfway through the day (maybe to coincide with lunch), keep a non-metal water bottle inside my backpack instead of hanging off the back, and utilize a reusable ice insert for the water bottle. Should last more than an hour or two. Thoughts?

Hi, Kazoo; We stay at the dorms. Freeze 2 bottles, fridge 1 bottle. We carry them in outer mesh pockets in our backpacks. Dont' insulate them, otherwise they'll stay too frozen most of the day. Gets us thru the day. Of course, you can always find other sources of water on the field. Some vendors have a cooler where you can get a bottle for a "donation" of a buck or so. Dunno if $1 violates your "no purchase" clause. Some years, in spite of best laid plans, ya just have to give in and buy a bottle if it has to be cold. There are plenty of hydration stations around to refill your bottles; cool, but not cold.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I don't think it is going to be a problem this year. The forecast looks like the temperatures are going to be on the low side. Sunday is predicting a high of only 73 and it doesn't get above 83 all week according to weather.com. I'm more worried about getting cold while sleeping at night than I am about staying hydrated in the hot sun.

Keith

I put a new one-gallon bottle into my backpack every morning, and never really have problems with the water being too warm. The mass of the water seems to keep it cool enough until the end of the day (although admittedly I do put my backpack in the shade of a nearby wing while watching the flying display).

I learned to not mind luke warm water from my Army days. I can drink it a lot faster than the cold stuff. Yes, no warmer than room temp would be preferred. Just take 2 empties & fill them when you are able.

Temperature of the water doesn't bother me. Sure, it's better when it's cold, but it hydrated effectively regardless of temperature. Last year I just carried a couple of water bottle with me and refilled them whenever I had the chance. I had no issues with hydration.

I like to freeze water or gatorade bottles and keep them with me, but not in a cooler (Or I'll put backups in a little cooler for when I finish the first one). They typically will melt enough to drink as needed, although on cooler days I may find myself wanting them to melt faster (Although that also means I'm not as in need of the hydration). I also have used in the past a giant water bottle, that has a frozen insert in the middle that did a good job keeping water cold. Although it usually only lasts 4 hours or so before it really doesn't keep the water cold enough since the frozen insert only stays frozen so long.

If you want cold water I found that the fountain by the bathroom in the hangers and the fountains just outside of the aeromart gate by the red barn are usually ice cold.

Keith