Thread: Anyone flown into Grand Canyon National Park Airport?

Anyone flown into Grand Canyon National Park Airport?

Hi! I was hoping somebody might be able to help me out with an article I'm writing on 10 great destinations for sport/private pilots to fly into. If you've had a good experience flying into Grand Canyon National Park Airport, I'd love to chat. We can make it a short 5-minute call, and you could be quoted. Here's an example of the quote I'm using for Washington Island:

"Washington Island is a perfect place to visit by air. You can land on two grass runways at a pretty little airport that’s ‘north of the stress line,’ and camping is allowed on the airfield under the wing of the plane.”

Thanks a lot, Rosemary

I have flown in there several times, but it has been some time so I am not the best source to quote. But some points, it is a normal airport in the sense of having a good sized runway, I think pretty much north and south, but there can be a lot of traffic from sightseeing planes and helicopters. Most of all it is in the middle of some pretty hostile terrain and a forced landing would be a real survival episode, especially in summer. Make sure to have flight plan active, I know of a couple that went down on the way back, they were not used to using flight plans and so no one came to look for them for days and they had major injuries from frostbite, it was winter or they might not have lived at all.
    The canyon is a great thing to see, and even better to stay overnight, but you should have reservation as the lodge fills up quickly. We stayed in a small cabin just steps from the rim. Spectacular, as long as you don't do any sleep walking. There are modern motels outside the grounds, but that is 2nd best.
    I would avoid going in hot weather.

i lived in AZ and flew to GCN several times. save the phone call.

"GCN is a sensible, useable airport with myriad ground support options for enjoying the tourist areas of the South Rim. USE your performance data to ensure you understand high-density-altitude operations."

- To overfly the canyon I think you have to be at 17,000 Ft.
    - Do stay at the canyon overnight. Don't expect outstanding food though.
    - I took the canyon air tour in a twin otter....oversize windows and special props. They overfly the folks on the ground and you never hear the airplane.
    - Down the same roadd at another airport with an airplane museum. Very interesting. You will be surprised what you will find in there.

DO NOT FLIGHT PLAN BASED ON WHAT ANYBODY THINKS! Minimum altitude is not 17000, it is what is published in the federal register and depicted on the grand canyon flight rules chart. get one before you go.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    DO NOT FLIGHT PLAN BASED ON WHAT ANYBODY THINKS! Minimum altitude is not 17000, it is what is published in the federal register and depicted on the grand canyon flight rules chart. get one before you go.
    Is this Grand Canyon flight rules chart you are referring to? http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...SFRA_trail.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguy View Post
    - Down the same roadd at another airport with an airplane museum. Very interesting. You will be surprised what you will find in there.
    Planes of Fame Museum, Arizona Location (40G), at Valle, AZ, an unincorporated wide-spot in State Route 64, about half way between Williams and the Grand Canyon.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Is this Grand Canyon flight rules chart you are referring to? http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...SFRA_trail.pdf
    No, it is this:

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fligh...s/grandcanyon/

It's a VFR aeronautical chart that looks sort of like a sectional, but it has additional specialized information. It shows all the altitude restrictions and rules and the corridors you can fly through at lower altitude. Do not fly around the Grand Canyon without one. Note the landmarks used to anchor the corridors are hard to find, even with the photos provided, without a GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post

One may get a peek at the gc vfr chart at skyvector.com