Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailwind discussion, specifically the W-10

Tailwind discussion, specifically the W-10

So I'm ready to start my Tailwind build, and I'd love to see a good thread with thoughts, details, options, recommendations, tips, gotcha's, etc...I'm a member of the Yahoo group and there is great info there, but the format leaves a lot to be desired. Let's talk it up here!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

I am glad to see the resurgence in Tailwind popularity over the past 15 yrs. The just keep hatching, can't keep a good airplane down!

I'm curious, what made you go from an RV to a Tailwind?

One of my brain cells seems to think someone in Champaign is building one, but if I knew who it is I forgot. Do you know Dave Boyd? He would probably know who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I am glad to see the resurgence in Tailwind popularity over the past 15 yrs. The just keep hatching, can't keep a good airplane down!
    You got that right! For what they do compared to others in the class of airplanes, they are nearly unbeatable.
    Last edited by Chad Jensen; 08-05-2011 at 07:22 AM.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I'm curious, what made you go from an RV to a Tailwind?

One of my brain cells seems to think someone in Champaign is building one, but if I knew who it is I forgot. Do you know Dave Boyd? He would probably know who it is.
    I guess the main reason would be because I want to build again (badly), and the Tailwind does what the RV does on a much smaller budget. The RV-7 (all RV's) is a fantastic airplane...truly Total Performance as they company motto states, but with a strong itch to build again, I really want to scratch build something that has the same mission profile as the RV.

I know the name Dave Boyd, but can't place him...there used to be a Tailwind in Danville, haven't heard of one being in Champaign, but that doesn't mean anything...
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Mike, I just got an email from a buddy...whom I think you know well...that the gentleman you may be referring to is John Severson from Homer. Sound right? Word is he's building a Buttercup, similar to the Tailwind, but older in design by 16 years.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Chad, it is possible the guy in Homer is who i was thinking of, not sure. Dave is the DPE that gave me my Instrument checkride a few years back, I think he is building a Pietenpol.

I think you are right...I just talked to one of our instructors here at work, and the reason I know the name is because that's where we send all of our students for check rides now.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Here are some files I scanned in from the 1973 Air Progress Sport Aircraft Annual
    Tailwind article.pdf
    specs list.pdf
    steve wittman article.pdf

Thanks for posting those Mike! Good stuff!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575