Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aircraft Re-registration

It was already easier for taxation. Send everybody with the permanent registration a bill and let them cancel their defunct registration to get out of it. It certainly works fine on the state/local level for vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    Looks like one should wait to within 6 weeks or less of the expiration date, just to make sure you don't get shortchanged.
    Don't wait too long. Here are the answers to your questions:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...istration_faq/
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Expiration dates are determined differently for the first "reregistration" versus subsequent ones. The document at the link above does not do a good job of explaining that.

I do not agree that the whole registration thing is a waste of time and money. It is not unreasonable to maintain a fairly accurate database of aircraft actually flying. The previous approach, asking casually every 3 years if your plane was still flying, was ridiculously imprecise. The initial registration process was fairly well designed and went smoothly for most people. Read the letter you get in the mail and do what it says, and the periodic reregistration should go just as smoothly.
    Last edited by MEdwards; 08-15-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Revised due to later information received

Ok Folks,

As OP of this thread, I have the big skinny of skinnies.
    I received my new registration today. Only took 9 days minus the weekend, so they did get it to me in the stated 5-7 days. AND, I renewed within the three month period, not early, not late. I went to the link Sam included in this post above and it does seem to spell it all out pretty clearly. However.....(drum roll please)...
    New expiration date is...
    AUGUST 31ST, 2016

Yep, shorted four months.
    I can scan it and let you see, or you can go to my airplane on the FAA Registry and see it. N35VR

Sorry, but I AM beginning to believe in conspiracy theories when it comes to our "Transparent" gubmint. (Yes, I know, it was only $5....this time.)

Hi cdflite. A question. Was this the first time you "reregistered" your plane and paid the $5 or the second? Need more data to try to figure out what happened. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Hi cdflite. A question. Was this the first time you "reregistered" your plane and paid the $5 or the second? Need more data to try to figure out what happened. Thanks.
    MEdwards,

This was the first time. How many have done it twice already since the law passed in 2010. Can't be many.
    According to the website Sam gave us above, I don't know if that matters. I'm afraid to think what would have happened if I'd have waited till the end of October, or even December.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by cdflite View Post
    This was the first time. How many have done it twice already since the law passed in 2010. Can't be many.
    That puts you in the very last group to re-register. I was in the first group to re-register in 2010, and my second re-registration is now coming due. So probably somewhere around 1/12 of the airplanes will be re-registering for the second time this year (assuming normal distribution of registrations, of which I have no idea if that is actually true).

When I did my initial re-registration, it changed the expiration date of my registration to something closer to the time I re-registered. It will be interesting to see what happens to it this time around. Although, based on the earlier link, it seems like it will probably remain the same.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    This was my second time reregistering.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

I just received my second re-registration from the FAA. The expiration day and month did not change, even though I re-registered several months before the current expiration date.

It appears that on initial re-registration, a new expiration date is acquired, somewhat close to the time you do the actual re-registration. On subsequent re-registrations, the date remains the same (day and month).