Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What airplane to build?

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States

What airplane to build?

I'm researching the variety of options available for my first build. There are so many kits out there, I thought I'd poll the experts for some advice and direction. I'm looking for something that has folding wings with the ability to be trailered to and from the airport. Beyond that, I think the next biggest issue would be ease of contruction, being my first build. Thanks in advance for any ideas! Don

The biggest issue for me is finding something I will fit in.

Don: You need to define your typical flight first. Once you have that, start listing all of your wants and have-to's. Now rank them in order based on how critical each one is. Once you have a decent handle on that, you can then decide on production materials. From all of that, you can distill down all the various designs to a couple that you can take a real detailed look at. Once you get down to that point it becomes pretty easy to make a decision on what to build.

Folding wings and trailerable pretty well forces you to a one or two place a/c, and if you are going to be doing the folding solo, I think there are only a couple of desings that would work for you. I can think of only a couple...the Midget Mustang, Mustang 2, Thorp T-18. I'd bet that there are a couple of others that I can't remember right now.

I've dealt with a/c that had both manual and power fold and it's a hassle either way.

Luckily I think they are all made for me 5'9" and 180 lbs...

Quote Originally Posted by CraigCantwell View Post
    Don: You need to define your typical flight first. Once you have that, start listing all of your wants and have-to's. Now rank them in order based on how critical each one is. Once you have a decent handle on that, you can then decide on production materials. From all of that, you can distill down all the various designs to a couple that you can take a real detailed look at. Once you get down to that point it becomes pretty easy to make a decision on what to build.

Folding wings and trailerable pretty well forces you to a one or two place a/c, and if you are going to be doing the folding solo, I think there are only a couple of desings that would work for you. I can think of only a couple...the Midget Mustang, Mustang 2, Thorp T-18. I'd bet that there are a couple of others that I can't remember right now.

I've dealt with a/c that had both manual and power fold and it's a hassle either way.
    This plane will be for me. Family flights and most business flights will remain with certified aircraft, so one seat is just fine. I'll add your suggestions to my kits to research. thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Don White View Post
    This plane will be for me. Family flights and most business flights will remain with certified aircraft, so one seat is just fine. I'll add your suggestions to my kits to research. thanks a lot!

If you like working with wood, Fly Baby... www.bowersflybaby.com
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    If you like working with wood, Fly Baby... www.bowersflybaby.com
    Thanks Jim, I've never done much woodwork! Looks like a great little plane though.

A Lot depends on the "mission" requirements. Another thought- the Kitfox?

This came up in another thread here. My first build was a Sonerai II. I really liked the airplane and it had folding wings as well.Name:  1.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  20.0 KB

As near as I can tell, if you want folding wings on a Thorp, unless you come up with a set of plans you have to go with the S-18, and they only sell the plans with the kit.